Cook time for 18lb bird on 22.5" WSM?

Daniel De

Hey folks,

did the apple brine recipe last year with what I think was a 14lb bird, and that took about 3 hours @ 325 - 350 degrees.

Not sure how that translates to an 18 lb bird (same brine) in terms of cook time. Any ideas?

I'm in South Florida, so outdoor temperature is not an issue.

I did an 18 lb bird over the summer and the smoke time was around 4 hours. The key is to use a thermometer and smoke until the breast is 160 then take out and let sit for 30 mins. The turkey will continue to cook inside reaching a temp of 165 at the breast.

15-20 min/lb is about right. I got this off the Internet somewhere but some folks' experience show these time are a bit long:

Approximate Roasting Times (@ 325*) for Unstuffed Turkey

Turkey Weight - Hours
6 to 8 pounds - 2-1/2 to 3 hours
8 to 12 pounds- 3 to 4 hours
12 to 16 pounds - 4 to 5 hours
16 to 20 pounds - 5 to 5-1/2 hours
20 to 24 pounds - 5-1/2 to 6 hours

Edit: I'd like to add one more note of caution straight from the Butterball website dealing with smokers: "Check the temperature of your turkey after 3½ hours. Your turkey must pass through a critical range of 40° F to 140° F in 4 hours or less. If the internal temperature is low after 3½ hours, take your turkey off the smoker and finish it in the oven."

I've found that if you cook at higher temps (325-350*F) this won't be an issue. Just think of the pit as an outdoor oven and you'll be rewarded with a flavorful treat.

Last edited:

Back