Cook Box Cast Aluminum?

AnthonyI

So I have a Spirit S320 model 4430411. The cook box is warped at the front lip which I see this is pretty common. I contacted Weber via email for warranty claim. The rep stated the cook box is not part of the 25 year aluminum casting warranty. He said the aluminum casting parts are completely different parts not including cook box. I was under the impression that the cook box is cast aluminum?

He lied to you. The cook box is the largest AL casting on the whole grill and is definitely covered
That’s what I thought. I questioned it and he said cook box and castings are two separate things and the cook box is only covered for 2 years. I guess I’ll have to call them up.

Anthony: My advice is to call back. There are dozens if not hundreds of C/S reps and I have found some to be quite excellent and some to be less that "excellent". Overall, they do great, but I have gotten two different answers by two different reps before.

I had a cookbox replaced using the 25year warranty. But they told me on the phone that "warping" would normally not be covered under that warranty but they replaced it as a gesture of goodwill. I guess it really depends to which rep you talk and how you talk to them.

But I see you have a Spirit 320. Does this grill still have the 25 years warranty on cast aluminum parts? Weber drastically reduced the warranty period a few years back. The manual has the warranty details.

But I see you have a Spirit 320. Does this grill still have the 25 years warranty on cast aluminum parts? Weber drastically reduced the warranty period a few years back. The manual has the warranty details.
Yea I checked the registration online and it has the 25 year warranty. He also sent me the warranty info for my grill and it stated the same.

I think the aluminum cookbox is covered by the warranty. But warping over time is pretty common.

So Weber may deny the claim if the cookbox is still working. Meaning the grates are still held up despite the warping.

I think the aluminum cookbox is covered by the warranty. But warping over time is pretty common.

So Weber may deny the claim if the cookbox is still working. Meaning the grates are still held up despite the warping.
Well I’ll give them a call and see what they say. I was just confused about what the rep stated about the cook box not being covered under the aluminum casting warranty.

I have a warped cookbox on my 2000 Silver B, which has a lifetime warranty for the original owner.

I did send pictures which showed warping but grates not yet falling in.

Weber's still thinking about it, but I don't think I'm getting a new cookbox.

So I called in and again got told the cook box isn’t part of the aluminum casting warranty. The rep asked if I wanted a price for it and I said yes. Put me on hold, then came back and said it’s a discontinued item and she can’t even find a part number. She also asked someone if it would be covered under the casting warranty but was waiting on an answer. Put me on hold again and came back stating they said it was covered under warranty but they don’t have a part number or it has been discontinued.

I now have to send pictures and they have to try and find a compatible substitution. Still might not get approved, but this aluminum castings thing is frustrating.

It’s not really spelled out what is considered under that warranty, at first it was just the hood, then someone she contacted said it’s the cook box as well.

We'll see what happens. Just a PITA when I clean the grates and they swim around the grill the whole time.

I have a warped cookbox on my 2000 Silver B, which has a lifetime warranty for the original owner.

I did send pictures which showed warping but grates not yet falling in.

Weber's still thinking about it, but I don't think I'm getting a new cookbox.
How long ago did you send them pictures?

So I called in and again got told the cook box isn’t part of the aluminum casting warranty. The rep asked if I wanted a price for it and I said yes. Put me on hold, then came back and said it’s a discontinued item and she can’t even find a part number. She also asked someone if it would be covered under the casting warranty but was waiting on an answer. Put me on hold again and came back stating they said it was covered under warranty but they don’t have a part number or it has been discontinued.

I now have to send pictures and they have to try and find a compatible substitution. Still might not get approved, but this aluminum castings thing is frustrating.

It’s not really spelled out what is considered under that warranty, at first it was just the hood, then someone she contacted said it’s the cook box as well.

We'll see what happens. Just a PITA when I clean the grates and they swim around the grill the whole time.

My rcplanebuyer grates do the same thing on my Silver B. TBH I think it's unreasonable to expect the grates to fit in the cookbox as a precision assembly. Post a pic if you're able.

And my GrillGrates (precisely measuring 17-3/8") do the same on my Silver C. On my Genesis 3, not so much, so I think it is manufacturer's tolerance, as long as the clearance is the same from side to side. If it bothers you, you could always drop an appropriately sized strip of aluminum between the grate and the back of the cookbox as a shim.

Weber just told me a new cookbox on my 20 year old Silver B is on the way!

Assuming I don't break anything making the swap (very possible) I guess that grill will get passed down to my yet unborn grandkids.

Wow.

My rcplanebuyer grates do the same thing on my Silver B. TBH I think it's unreasonable to expect the grates to fit in the cookbox as a precision assembly. Post a pic if you're able.
Here is a pic. I sent Weber some pics but haven't gotten response yet. They don't fall in quite yet so they may deny it. If they do, I'll still want to make sure I have some documentation that the cook box is part of the aluminum casting warranty, especially since they gave me such a hard time about it.

I am having a hard time finding the cook box after searching the inter-web. This might be a lost cause unless those Weber folks can find a compatible one.

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 35
I would think weber can get you a new Genesis Silver B box. If not, I see three options.
1. Use it as is
2. Find a donor grill with a good cook box
3. Buy a set of Honsgo grates. They are about 1/8 or a little more longer than standard grates.

Back