Convince Me to Buy a Vortex

Allen U

I have a 26 Weber. Not super happy with the way my chicken turns out usually. What all do you use a Vortex for? My family isn't just huge wing fans so I really can't justify it with that. Also would I need a new great where the center pops out for a Vortex? The 26 doesn't come with that.

I believe the 26 has a stainless steel grate, if so? then no you don't need to buy a gourmet grate.
The nickel plated ones lose the plating over the vortex, SS is fine.
besides wings you can do legs thigh. Turn it over and do chicken on a throne.
1698408912659.png

Last edited:
I have a vortex that doesn't get used.....I wouldn't convince anyone to get one.
I do not own a 26 kettle.
But from reading I believe that the 26 takes a lot more fuel to get hot and stay hot and if you want tasty crispy chicken skin and a bird that's juicy inside you might be needing more fuel...not sure.
I like to cook all my chicken besides rotisserie nice and hot up around that 500 range usually works for me.......... at this point the handle with the guard there is pretty warm to grab when I need to get inside.
I also notice the difference drastically when I use my 18 inch instead of my 22 inch........just for a comparison.
The little 18 is a dream, it looks like it shouldn't be doing what I want it to but it gets real hot and uses way less fuel.
Of course the real estate left for indirect cooking when I use an SNS to maintain a good cook can be desired.

I would recommend a Vortex to ANYONE that wants to do high heat indirect method, it works especially well for chicken!
Allen, you will get plenty of use out of one once you have it! The length of time you will get out of the stock grate should not be a big issue, just do it! They are a very useful piece of equipment and once you have one, you will find more uses for it than you will ever have considered!
And,welcome to the biggest bunch of enabling grillers on the face of the planet! Its the most fun site in the weberverse!

I have one and have been on the fence about it. It will deliver high heat cooks that you’re seeking. However I can replicate nearly that same result with two charcoal baskets filled with JD lump and full blast on the vents.

I’m using a WSK so imo, the vortex might give you a little more heat in a 26 as the WSK is double wall insulated. It helps.

You could make your own vortex if you have a metal grinder. YouTube shows you how. It’s not that complex and you can make one for $20.

Or just buy a vortex or it’s knockoff in Amazon.

Last edited:
I have a 26 Weber. Not super happy with the way my chicken turns out usually. What all do you use a Vortex for? My family isn't just huge wing fans so I really can't justify it with that. Also would I need a new great where the center pops out for a Vortex? The 26 doesn't come with that.
I can sell you a used one for a song..
I also have a Slow n sear Deluxe I don't need

I got a used Performer from FB marketplace, it came with Vortex and slow n Sear.
I already have a Vortex, I love the Vortex, especially for wings & thighs.
I also use it for flank cut Kalbi ribs.

The char baskets can also be used with a good lump and produce high heat zone. However, the Vortex really channels that heat well.

There is also a Vortex heat control baffle that is a set up similar to the Weber Temp control.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027-080124~2.png
    Screenshot_20231027-080124~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231027-080104~2.png
    Screenshot_20231027-080104~2.png
    820.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I've had one for a few years and I mostly use it for wings and KFC (kettle fried chicken) and it does an excellent job, crispy skin and very moist meat. I have a medium vortex for my performer. I also made a small one for my Jumbo Joe using a $3.00 small stainless steel Walmart dog bowl, I just cut the bottom of the bowl and it works perfectly. I bought another cooking grate and cut the center out because no one makes a open center grate for an 18" grill. With just the two of us the JJ gets used a lot more than the performer.

Hey Allen, My experience on the forums has been that, if I need to convince you that you need a Vortex, you probably don't need one. Same with the SnS.

Both are great tools. But there's another way to skin the cat.

I have both and use them regularly. I think that you could get crispy skin on more than just wings. But, there's other ways to accomplish that task.

If you want to try the Vortex (and I think you should) there have been a couple of couple of offers for used ones and they are almost indestructible.

Good Luck and Good Cooking ! ! !

BD

Back