Converts

Donald

TVWBB Fan
I've been sitting on this note for a while, I've been gone all summer and haven't touched my WSM for months, do things slow down around here in the summer? This is about one of my last cooks on the WSM a while ago:

My wife has always held her nose high to my brisket. I don't blame her. I've always made a merely acceptable brisket. Oh I've tried. I've been trying for 17 years. I've tried to make brisket on the Kettle, wrapped, unwrapped, charred then wrapped, started in the kettle then finished in the oven and every combination in between. I've asked relatives from Nebraska (just cook it slow - how slow is slow? - six hours!) to Texas (wrap it up in foil and just throw it in the ground with some hot embers son) to California (smoke briefly, then place in the confection oven, top with cilantro chutney).

My wife eats brisket once a year: March 17. It's not my brisket. It's boiled then served. With potatoes and cabbage. "Maureen" always tells me how it is. She heartily pity’s me and lets me know what she thinks of my brisket with the honesty and contemptuous glee of a 14 year old. I don't bother her with my brisket anymore.

Yesterday I finished cooking a 12 pound brisket, one of those big long ones wrapped in cryovac. I don't know a point from a flat but I think I have an idea. I cut the $25 beast in half, cooked the thinner part on the bottom nearer my paverstone-in-the-waterpan-mod and the fatter 'pointier' half on the top grill. The thinner part was done in about 17 hours and the fatter, more pyramid shaped part was done in about 24 hours. I pulled each part off when the internal temps reached 200. No basting no turning no peeking. I slightly modified Big Tim's ingredients by adding Sage and using too much dry mustard (glutinous sticky) and too much brown sugar (burned - way too burned). I also added crushed dried Pasilla Chiles. No marinating.

I can't say I was completely satisfied with my effort other than the texture was good. I'm still looking for that brisket I had in Laredo Texas at the airport cafe back in 1996. That's my standard. After the perfect tender texture I remember the sauce, slightly reddish orange almost tangy (not sour) a betrayal of sweet and an aftertaste that only made you seek out another bite - at all costs.

I knew I was going to have too much brisket after this cook. Between myself and my daughter, despite her valiant efforts and her demands for, "more - brisket - now!," we had too much and I'm of the philosophy that prepared food is not stored. I always plan on distributing the spoils of my cook to the neighbors, their pets, wherever I can. Since it was a work day I asked my wife if she would take the sliced pointier end of the brisket along with some flour tortillas and salsa to her office for the boys to heat up in the microwave. She works where a lot of "in-the-field", hard working types pass through the office.

Now I knew this was good enough for the guys to make a quick taco then get back to work, and I was expecting them to politely thank my wife for the favor, and that would pretty much be the end of it...

After returning from work, my wife, through gritting teeth, complimented me on the brisket. I asked her what “the hey” she was doing eating my (well now it’s “our”) brisket? Outside of the holiday no less? “Our” brisket was causing quite a stir in the office and she had to see what all the fuss was about.

Of course this shall never be spoken of again in our house.

Well, well, well.
I believe that deserves an "attaboy" Donald!
First off, you did a pretty good job identifying the parts of the Brisket. The top, fatty part of the brisket is called the point, and the lower, 'flat' part of the brisket is called the flat.
When I do a brisket, I trim the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch and trim off all of the hard fat. In the process of trimming, the point essentially becomes seperated from the flat.
My last brisket I put the point on the bottom and the flat on top. The flat went to about 190-195, was then wrapped and coolered for about 3-4 hours.
The point was then moved to the top and was allowed to cook a little longer to render out more fat. It then got wrapped and coolered for a very long time, like 5+ hours.
The flat was sliced and was excellent. The point was more or less chopped for burnt ends. Also excellent.
I think your key was no peeking. 'Cuz "if you're looking, you ain't cooking."
So now you've created a convert. I see more brisket in your future, and not the boiled St. Patty's day variety.
FWIW, if I have significant leftovers, they get vacuum sealed and frozen. Just as good as fresh off the WSM.

Thanks Clark:

You know I've been searching long for a good illustrated forensic analysis of the brisket. Everyone talks point packers ends flats and it really isn't obvious to me what's being discussed. When I'm shopping the labeling, where there is no labeling, it's just "brisket". Also I just can't make the visual leap when it's described in text.

A picture of one of those giant briskets with an overlay illustrating the parts of the brisket would be cool. An illustrated dissection would be great! Dr. G?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donald:
You know I've been searching long for a good illustrated forensic analysis of the brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brisket Selection & Preparation

Donald,

Great job on your success of the brisket, they are hard to get perfect I agree.

Check out the cooking topics under the beef section if you haven't already, that will give you some photos and help explain the brisket somewhat.

Looks like Doug beat me to it!

Randy

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the link. All those pictures and virtual brisket weren't there before were they?

Congrats on getting a good brisket. The flat is the thinner side, the point is the thicker end. Here's a tip: If you learn to find it, there is a vein of fat that separates the flat and point. It runs diagonally through the meat. That's a good place to cut to separate the point and flat.

I like to use the Wild Willy rub in the Smoke and Spice cookbook on brisket. I cook it in my WSM between 200-250; usually around 220, give or take a little. I cook it until the internal temp is between 185-190º, then let it rest. I don't foil it, but you can try that if you like.

I take a brisket to the neighborhood block party each year. People go nuts over it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">vein of fat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the Brisket Selection & Preparation section of the TVWB to make that brisket the first time and I still couldn't really get it. The "vein of fat" really makes it come together and make sense. This needs a mnemonic.

The vein of fat separates the point and flat?

Don't worry, not quiting the day job...

Clark?

I have a question...why cut the brisket in half and cook two separate pieces? I thought the preferred method was trim the fat and cook the brisket whole. When it's time to remove to the cooler for the resting period, remove the point and return it to the smoker for burnt ends.

Bob W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Gomes:
I checked costco here in aurora Colorado and they only have the flats. No whole brisket. I heard Sams has it though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Look at a Super Wal Mart. Mine here in PA carries the packers they are $1.68 lb and they also have the flats at $3.59 per lb.
icon_eek.gif
I get all my briskets at Super Wal Mart. Be careful of their pork though. I find most of it is enhanced.
icon_mad.gif

Donald, Congrats on the brisket. 200 internal is a bit high. Next one take to 182-185 wrap in foil real good and let it rest in a well lined cooler for 2 hrs. Remember when you pull the meat off, it will continue to cook and the internal temp it will rise about 5 degrees.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Gomes:
I think walmart has select meat. Which is the lowest grade of meat. Is that right. I don't like USDA select meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine has Excel choice packers, YMMV.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donald:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">vein of fat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the Brisket Selection & Preparation section of the TVWB to make that brisket the first time and I still couldn't really get it. The "vein of fat" really makes it come together and make sense. This needs a mnemonic.

The vein of fat separates the point and flat?

Don't worry, not quiting the day job...

Clark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That vein of fat isn't easy to find. I'm not very good at it, and I saw people at the CA BBQ association who knew about that trick but they weren't any better than me at finding it and separating the meat along it.

But I saw Paul Kirk do it, and it took him about 10 seconds to make a perfect cut along it and separate the point from the flat. He's done it a few zillion times.

The point and flat are closer to a uniform size when you do this. But it's not really critical. I get good briskets whether I separate them or not.

I checked costco here in aurora Colorado and they only have the flats. No whole brisket. I heard Sams has it though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The flats are the best part ... assuming they haven't been trimmed of too much fat. I buy the whole ones in the cyrovac and don't buy any that look all scalped.

I think walmart has select meat. Which is the lowest grade of meat. Is that right. I don't like USDA select meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost all supermarkets sell Select grade meat. Many will also sell choice, for a premium price, but most of their volume is in Select grade.

When it comes to barbeque, I'm not sure paying more for Choice gets you much of a payoff. Keep in mind, the difference between Select and Choice is the amount of fat marbled through the meat. This makes a big difference in steaks, but slow cooked barbeque was designed to make use of the strong, tough cuts. Some fat is necessary, but most of the tenderness comes from the connective tissue that breaks down into collagen. Choice cuts of meat won't do that any better than Select. I've had some very tender Select briskets.

I'm not saying the choice won't be better; it might be. If you want the absolute best, you may have to go to prime or even Kobe beef. And these may be better and if your in a competition where every little bit better helps make a winner, this makes sense. Otherwise, I feel you hit diminishing returns, paying a lot more money for a fairly small, maybe even imperceptible difference in the tenderness of the meat.

But it's your money. Spend it however you like.

Tom, I usually get Walmart packers which I assume are selects unless marked otherwise. Last week I found choice packers at Sams. I did one and I've got to tell you there is a difference. There was less fat to trim initially and after the cook was done I was impressed in how little fat was left to trim before you ate. Now maybe I was just lucky and got a lean piece of brisket but I'll have to try it again to see if the results turn out the same.

Back