Converting NG to propane on a Summit 450

JohnS NJ

TVWBB Fan
Would have to drive about an hour. But someone is unloading a summit 450. Structurally looks sound without any apparent rust. Only issue is I don’t have NG. Worth converting to propane?

Sorry, I am just not a fan of those newer Summits. Add what you will have to shell out for a conversion to all the other work and I just don't see it. I like the 1st and 2nd generation Summits, but they have issues, too. Classic Genesis grills will give you a lot less grief.

Here is where two Summit 650's (and a couple other losers) I thought I could restore wound up:

Junk Summit in scrap pile.jpeg

I just had a scrapper pick up a NG Summit 4 burner and a Propane Summit 4 burner today.

The original Summit 450! My grill!

You've got to check for rust where the burner tubes pass through the porcelain steel into the firebox. That's often the weakest point in this generation of grills.

IMG_4991-1024.jpg

It's doable if you swap in an LP manifold. A donor would be cheapest, as new ones go for $200: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/manifold-p-1477821.html

As for viability as a flip, I'll let others take that on.

Having owned mine since 2002, I can tell you these are great grills as long they're not rusted. They are simple, no electronics, replacement parts are available, and they come with a killer set of s/s rod grates. They're also not that common...not that many sold back in the day, and the rust put many of them in the grave.

That’s my concern is that I won’t be able to find a donor grill given it’s rarity. Really don’t want to put in a lot to get this going. Plus the right table seems to have been replaced with a plastic one. And the unit doesn’t have doors or bottom table. One of those black holes I don’t need to get myself into. Not looking to flip.

If it was LP it could be converted pretty "easily" to NG IF you have the skill levels to understand gas. But the other way no. Once it's NG you can no longer take it to LP. Yes the Summit 450 and the 650 1st gens are perhaps the best performing and best built Summit grills ever. Sadly if the firebox is rusted above the burners behind the control panel they're done for. As for a flip I don't know. As for parts SOME parts you can get. But you cannot get a new fire box. You can still get burners, and flavo bars though. Also if you have a 1st or 2nd generation Genesis the grates from that Summit are worth getting it alone unless someone else has scavenged them

Just like in healthcare, i don’t like to do harm when it comes to weber resto especially messing with gas. Doesn’t seem like plug and play so I’ll just let this one go. Cool looking unit and looks like a tank. First time seeing it and hopefully I’ll catch one of these unicorns one day. Thanks for the insight.

Just like in healthcare, i don’t like to do harm when it comes to weber resto especially messing with gas. Doesn’t seem like plug and play so I’ll just let this one go. Cool looking unit and looks like a tank. First time seeing it and hopefully I’ll catch one of these unicorns one day. Thanks for the insight.
They are tanks, but even tanks rust and have week spots in them.

Not the newer. But the original summit 450

That’s a whole different story. Those are wonderful grills, but as has been mentioned their Achilles heal is the front of the firebox which is very susceptible to rust. No support from Weber, so you would be on your own to get parts fabricated to repair. If you could, you would have a classic, ultimate REAL Weber!

If it was LP it could be converted pretty "easily" to NG IF you have the skill levels to understand gas. But the other way no. Once it's NG you can no longer take it to LP. Yes the Summit 450 and the 650 1st gens are perhaps the best performing and best built Summit grills ever. Sadly if the firebox is rusted above the burners behind the control panel they're done for. As for a flip I don't know. As for parts SOME parts you can get. But you cannot get a new fire box. You can still get burners, and flavo bars though. Also if you have a 1st or 2nd generation Genesis the grates from that Summit are worth getting it alone unless someone else has scavenged them

I don't mean to stir anything up but this has had me curious for a while. I'm no gas expert, only know a little bit about fluids and have learned a bit about gas installing my grill and fireplace insert. The appliances seam to care most about brunch input.

BTUs are controlled by volume flow and pressure. The valve and orifices control the flow and the regulator the pressure. Once setup for natural gas the volume flow can't be reduced (can't undrill).

But could the pressure be reduced to get BTUs back to the right level? NG is often used at various pressures for appliances often between 3.5 and 7 in WC. Could one make a NG grill work on propane by using a lower pressure regulator, or is there a reason lp needs to be at 11 in WC?

Reducing pressure could cause distribution issues through the burners. LP appliances (for the most part) operate at 11"WC and I believe it's for a reason. I could be wrong but I believe it's because LP is denser than NG (more btu per cu ft) and operating it under that amount may cause issues getting it past the very fine orifices it requires. While NG only operates at 7"WC many times reduced and regulated at the appliance to 3" but has much higher flow rates. Honestly I don't believe playing with these set standards is a good idea

Back