Converting a Genesis sidewinder from NG to Propane - How to?

Greg Part

TVWBB Fan
Heya, folks,

Someone in my neck of the woods is selling a natural gas Genesis E-320 (control knobs on side table). It’s in really great shape without any rust at all in the cabinet. I’d like to try my hand at converting this to a propane burner.

How expensive, how time consuming is this and is this do-able for a ho-hum-DIYer? A sidewinder in excellent condition is a bit of a rarity.

Sure would appreciate insight from all of the pros.

Due to the way Weber tries it's best to make it as hard as possible (why? IDK), you will need to buy an entire manifold and regulator to do it correctly and SAFELY. Or just install a gas line at your house. Trust me once you go natural you will not go backward

I would agree, if possible run NG and you'll be very happy with it.

Converting it to LP needs:
  • LP manifold, or LP Valves ( not just orifices)
  • LP hose with regulator
  • tank hanger / scale
This is the part for the manifold, yet it is out of stock at this seller.

A tank hanger on the outside will be easier than stuffing the tank on the inside. I did this on my front control E330 but I've seen it done on side control E3xx also

1710284256861.png

Thanks, Larry. I don’t mind putting the money into it in order to do it correctly and safely. As long as the conversion provides a result as good as it should be.

Our furnace and water heater run on gas but nothing else. Don’t know if I’d want to run a grill on NG. Am happy throwing money at LP.

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry. I don’t mind putting the money into it in order to do it correctly and safely. As long as the conversion provides a result is as good as it should be.

Our furnace and water heater run on gas but nothing else. Don’t know if I’d want to run a grill on NG. Am happy throwing money at LP.
I would agree, if possible run NG and you'll be very happy with it.

Converting it to LP needs:
  • LP manifold, or LP Valves ( not just orifices)
  • LP hose with regulator
  • tank hanger / scale
This is the part for the manifold, yet it is out of stock at this seller.

A tank hanger on the outside will be easier than stuffing the tank on the inside. I did this on my front control E330 but I've seen it done on side control E3xx also

View attachment 87726

Thanks, Dan. Forgot to mention it has a side burner.

It might be cheaper and easier to find the corresponding grill in LP on FBMP and just swap everything. That model of grill is relatively plentiful and cheap.

It might be cheaper and easier to find the corresponding grill in LP on FBMP and just swap everything. That model of grill is relatively plentiful and cheap.
I’ve been checking daily on FBMP and this one is only 30 minutes away from me. The decent ones I’ve seen on FBMP are hours away and ones nearby are seriously rust eaten.

I’ve been checking daily on FBMP and this one is only 30 minutes away from me. The decent ones I’ve seen on FBMP are hours away and ones nearby are seriously rust eaten.
Greg, the one you posted pictures of is in really nice shape and is definitely a keeper. I'm just talking about getting an additional LP grill for the parts to convert that one. It doesn't need to be very nice, you just want the manifold, etc.

Greg, the one you posted pictures of is in really nice shape and is definitely a keeper. I'm just talking about getting an additional LP grill for the parts to convert that one. It doesn't need to be very nice, you just want the manifold, etc.
I got you. A donor grill.

If you are capable of running NG to it, honestly the convenience so worth the investment. Re, the side burner don't tell anyone I told you this. YOu might like its performance better simply hooking it up. But shhhh it's our secret. I don't want it getting out that I've done that :D
No can-do on the NG. The “boss” says “no”. That’s the end of that road. It might not be worth it. They won’t haggle much on the price ($425). It needs to come off a 2 level deck and the PITA with trying to convert it, I don’t know…

LP has its advantages, too. My rule is that anything with wheels should run on propane, all else NG. Also, a 20lb. propane tank is stable enough to sit on the floor by itself. I consider a tank hanger a low priority.

300 series that are LP have a heat shield below the slide out bottom pan. NG does not have a heat shield. You can see in this pic there isn't a heat shield.

Another reason to outboard the tank when converting NG to LP.

20240313_064246.jpg

Last edited:
@DanHoo
I agree with you. Weber used to brag in their advertising that their LP tank was where it belonged: safely off to the side and away from the hot firebox. I guess the marketing/style team convinced them to eat those words:unsure:.

Due to the way Weber tries it's best to make it as hard as possible (why? IDK), you will need to buy an entire manifold and regulator to do it correctly and SAFELY. Or just install a gas line at your house. Trust me once you go natural you will not go backward
Our stance against conversions is due to the safety, and corresponding liability issues, that can result due to an incorrect conversion being performed. Once upon a time (I believe prior to 2007/8), we did sell conversion kits, but then our stance changed. I've never been able to find out why the stance changed, however, my own personal (I can't stress enough that it's my own theory and not an explanation I've ever heard out of anyone's mouth in any official capacity here at Weber) speculation is that a consumer may have had an incident resulting in legal action and essentially ruined a good thing for everyone.

Back