Converting a gas grill to charcoal - Pros? Cons? Anyone done it and satisfied? Heads-ups?

I have not. What donor grill are you thinking about? I think I would avoid an aluminum cookbox.

Just like steel, aluminum alloys become weaker as the service temperature rises. But aluminum melts at only about 1,260 degrees, so it loses about half of its strength by the time it reaches 600 degrees.

Different wood species have different burning temperatures. Under medium density and at equilibrium humidity with that of the surrounding air, the wood ignites at a temperature of about 300 degrees Celsius (572 degrees Fahrenheit). The wood does burn hot, averaging temperatures ranges from 800 to 950 degrees Celsius (1472 to 1742 degrees Fahrenheit ).

While I am dubious about air flow and other issues related to converting a gas grill into a charcoal one, it is worth noting that one of best charcoal grills out there are the PK models. These are totally made from cast aluminum, and they are known for lasting for decades. I have one that is close to 60 years old another from 1975. For that matter, the Weber CharQ, which I have and enjoy very much, is also made of all cast aluminum.

There are benefits to cast aluminum which radiates heat better than regular steel. I do agree, however, that any grilling undertaking needs to take into account the limits of the materials the grill is made out of.

I'm not smart enough to comment on converting a gas grill for charcoal fuel nor on the topic of aluminum. But this reminds me that PK has aluminum charcoal cookers.

For that matter, the Weber CharQ, which I have and enjoy very much, is also made of all cast aluminum.
Yeah, and the Achilles’ Heel of the Char Q is the steel fire pan. It seems like a heavy duty stainless replacement similar to a PK charcoal grate could give you a nice lifetime grill.

Yeah, and the Achilles’ Heel of the Char Q is the steel fire pan. It seems like a heavy duty stainless replacement similar to a PK charcoal grate could give you a nice lifetime grill.
Lee, I think some people have had fair luck using one of those stainless food baskets for grills as a replacement for the OEM charcoal tray when it eventually fails.

I got a few grills where the people gave up on gas and just fill it with charcoal and cook away.
Looks like you need to leave the lid open to keep the fire going.

It doesn’t seem to affect the cast aluminum firebox.

Back