Conversion Chart

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
Pretty handy chart I found on another site ;)

ConversionChart.jpg

From a UK perspective the US measuring system with all of its cups, sticks, ounces, fluid ounces and quarts is most bewildering and frustrating. Just keep it simple and use ml and g like everyone else, it would save me endlessly having to convert your many and varied units.

For what it is worth there are some very easy and precise apps out there for free for the iPhone and I am sure others.

From a UK perspective the US measuring system with all of its cups, sticks, ounces, fluid ounces and quarts is most bewildering and frustrating. Just keep it simple and use ml and g like everyone else, it would save me endlessly having to convert your many and varied units.

I don't mind measuring with our weird stuff, but I did learn that baking is MUCH better done by grams.

Yeah Carter tried to get us to switch to the metric system. I myself think it would be a much wiser idea.

Absolutely great chart. Plan to print it and tape it to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinet doors.

Migration to metric I believe will happen in time over generations.

We think nothing in the US anymore of drinking / buying water in liters and running 10K races. Familiarity will lead to new stuff being distributed in the easier more global formats and published using the more practical measures whichever they turn out to be. Over time we'll find an equlibrium I'm sure.

Not a baker but the one I'm married to and the one she gave birth to second the comments about baking in metric though.

Ironic, given that US is using a system basically inherited from Great Britain. Many Americans still seem to be waiting to see if this metric fad catches on.

Can you not order a pint in a UK pub any more :)?

Carl (12 stone 2, and counting)

Back