Continuously Variable vs. Low Medium High

I am using a 3/8” NG hose. Perhaps I need a 1/2” NG hose?

The hose is fine. The Genesis only comes with a 3/8" hose from the factory. I actually measured the orifices between a true NG manifold and an LP manifold valve set and the low/med were definitely bigger. IIRC by about .002 each (if that is 2 two thousandths again going off VERY long ago memory

You mean the low and medium orifices (holes) in the valves? I thought the NG manifolds had the continuously variable valves (one hole with a concentric groove around the circumference).

Yes the low/med orifices on the valve spool are slightly larger on a NG valve than on an LP valve. Three are SOME CV type valves around on both LP and NG but it's a luck of the draw type thing some are some are not. There does not seem to be a reason why you would have one over the other. Either based on type of gas or not.

You mean the low and medium orifices (holes) in the valves? I thought the NG manifolds had the continuously variable valves (one hole with a concentric groove around the circumference).

Rich could you not take a valve body out of your nat gas then measure the hole diameter with a piece of wire or if you had really small drill bits. Then pull one from the LP you converted all you would need is to measure the NG holes as they should be bigger than the LP holes so whatever you used to determine the diameter in the NG should not fit in the LP. I believe Larry is correct in that the NG holes will be larger for sure.

The valves may look identical but its the hole size, when I had my 1000 which was NG they just stuck a regulator on it, I was able to get a propane manifold from a member and and using a piece of wire I compared the orifice sizes not on the valve body and as suspected what fit in the orifice for the NG manifold did not fit in the Propane manifold so it was never properly converted. However since I had taken both valve bodies apart to clean I compared them and they appeared to be identical but kind of kicking myself I did not take a piece of wire and try to determine the hole sizes on the NG valves compared to the Propane valves might have been some useful information for others. Some with better eyes might have noticed the difference right away.

I think Larry is correct in luck of the draw as he found them in a Summit but take a look at the product catalogs in the sticky if you look at the 2005 and 2006 Weber has a spec for the burners that says infinite burner control or something like that I believe those are the CV type valves however looking at a bunch of others different years I only see that spec for 2005 and 2006.

Drilling out the small orifice on the valve looked fairly easy as it appears to have a thin aluminum (?) insert, not so much with the medium orifice which was drilled all the way through the fairly thick sidewall of the valve. I don’t think you could consistently do a good job reaming out the medium hole without a drill press. It also looks like going too deep could damage an internal vertically oriented component.

That’s just a bit too much in the way of SWAG mods with questionable results for my comfort level. I just ordered the NG manifold, that’s a much safer bet. I’ll try to post pics of what the NG valves look like after I get it for everyone’s future reference.

I never remember seeing anything about infinite burner control but that may be a clue as to where the variable type valves are found. Not sure. If you're not in a real hurry I think I may have a spare NG manifold laying around if so I can pull it apart and check those sizes for you. DOn't think I can get to it today though

The 2005/6 manuals are the only ones I saw that spec in and I went thru quite a few of the manuals Chris has in that thread. If you look on page 9 in the 2005 manual you will see the description but I think Rich made the right decision and just get the correct manifold.

And in the spirit of internet lore, this is now officially the most expensive NG conversion that mankind has ever known.

Hopefully the info will ultimately benefit some others contemplating Summit conversions.

To add insult to injury, I received this Summit in mid 2010 and I recall the conversion kit coming with the grill. I didn’t realize it was a conversion kit at the time, it just looked like they inadvertently threw a duplicate manifold in the box with the grill, which of course already had a manifold installed. I typically save EVERYTHING, and something came over me and I tossed it because I was running out of storage space. Man that hurts...

It would be good to know the differences in the sizes of the holes in the valves, but there’s no hurry since I ordered the NG manifold. I may try to measure myself when I get the new manifold but quite frankly I’m not sure that me or my cheap digital caliper can measure a circular hole with consistent 0.001 accuracy.

They make gauges designed for measuring hole diameters. I also don't think you could get an accurate reading from a digital caliper on a hole that small.

I don't think so either Bruce, I have a bunch of wire collected over the years bell wire for the garage doors, sprinkler wire 14 gauge, 16 gauge, some thermostat wire and a bunch of other stuff. For me cause I got that stuff it would be pretty easy to see what fits in those valve holes for the NG and again if it fit the NG it should not fit the Propane they are smaller. Like I said had both manifolds with the valves out should have figured it out for others.

I use numeric drill bit shanks they give you a very good estimate. Close enough for that kind of work

Funny you should say that, I was actually just looking at investing in a numeric drill bit set. I’m constantly going through cheap bit sets. Anyone have any thoughts on Viking Norseman?

Rich often thought about the numbered bits myself but like anything else not sure how much I would use them so for those kind of items I tend to go to harbor freight. Have like others for step bits and such angle grinder all the crap not going to use all that much its hard to justify for the good stuff. I looked at those bits on Amazon maybe I am mistaken but looks like they are 80 bucks and change unless you use them all the time and maybe you do hard to see the price justification.

Here is a set at Harbor for 20 bucks are they top of the line of course they are not but will probably do the job depending on your use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...ed+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=numbered+drill+bits

Funny you should say that, I was actually just looking at investing in a numeric drill bit set. I’m constantly going through cheap bit sets. Anyone have any thoughts on Viking Norseman?

Viking anything is always good, especially if it comes from Minnesota.

I’m a big HF fan for many things but I just seem to go through bits too fast. I may splurge on a Viking set. I can get very creative in justifying discretionary expenses...as you can tell from my conversion gone awry.

I hear you. Not every tool is best purchased at HF. Sometimes you just need/want a higher quality. But, for the average guy that might use a drill six times a year, a set of HF bits is plenty good.

I don't recommend going over board on the number sets. I actually just buy an assortment of them from Menard's since for just doing the valves and orifices you don't need a huge range of sizes

Back