Considering switching to Master Touch

Kristof Jozsa

TVWBB Fan
As a newcomer to grilling, I kicked off with a 2015 18" One Touch Premium Kettle in last autumn. I fall in love in seconds and grill now many times a week for my wife and 2 small kids (which you can count with as one adult) and often for friends coming over for a nice meal. I might do something wrong but I tend to be quite short on cooking space whenever I'm grilling for 5-6 adults or more on the 18". Are there some tricks I should be aware of or I had reached the capacity limits of the 18" kettle already?

To come around this problem, I started to look for an upgrade, possibly passing over my current kettle to a friend and buying into a 22". I looked into the available options and found a 2016 Original Kettle 22", a 2016 Master Touch GBS 22" for the same price as the Original Kettle, or a 2015 Master Touch GBS Special Edition for about 10% more. Now I wonder what's the difference between the latter two because I couldn't really find any details on the Special Edition on the internet.

Looking closely at both Master Touch, the lid holder and the charcoal baskets look useful, but I do have some doubts about the BBQ system grates. Honestly I'm unsure if I would need the optional inserts and the grate itself also looks a bit complicated. I'm also unsure if the center of the grate wouldn't just fall off when I hang it vertically to the kettle holder - is this a valid problem or this does not happen at all?

Thoughts, suggestions?

I understand the concern over the center "dropping out" but, I hav had mine for almost two years and it has not happened to me unless I turn it well past vertical. It is something you will need to keep in mind. Not much to really worry about but, a valid concern.
My grate system came with the cast iron "steak searing" insert, I am going against the grain of a lot of posters here but, I rarely use it, it's just something I have to store most of the time, it's too small for more than two steaks and requires a lot of preheating to provide any kind of grill marks. I am still working on making myself like it. I will try some other things again and see how I like it.
The big advantage in the size increase will be the availability of things like the rotisserie system, which I highly recommend, you will be surprised how many times you just reach for it. Little need to watch every second, the motor does most of the work. The baskets will make you very happy after you see how convenient they are to use and how much charcoal you can re use. When you get one, enjoy a nice piece of beef and a bottle of "Egri Bikaver" for me!

I have a 22" and wish I had a 26" sometimes.
I use the baskets on almost every cook.

Here is a typical set up with two pork loin backs...
x1btyp.jpg

The center, under the ribs, is completely covered with aluminum foil.
This forces airflow to the baskets and it also helps keep the center section clean.
Only way to fly if you're using the baskets in this orientation.

On top of that is a 9" x 12" aluminum foil pan that catches most of the drippings.
I line it with foil and use it over and over.

Good luck with your Weber and welcome to the forum !

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! @Timothy, that was a nice touch indeed :)

About the difference between the plain Master Touch and the Special Edition one, the local dealer says one comes with the Weber 8843 grates and the other with the Weber 8835 one. I'm kinda surprised to learn that there's a master touch sold without stainless grates, it sounds pretty bad to me..

Don't really know the differences, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. It is a great place to be and everyone here is very friendly. There is also a lot of great info here on both grilling and smoking. If I were to give any advice it would be to do what you think is right for you. I have a 22 inch kettle (Performer), and there are times I wish I had a 26 inch kettle but the 22 meats most of my needs. Overall, I think that the 22 is the best overall grill to have for most of us. I also have a 22 inch WSM that I love but am thinking about getting a smaller WSM for smaller cooks. All that to say, do what is best for you and don't worry what others may think.

I don't foil the bottom of mine, I use a few firebricks and a foil drip pan to do the same kind of thing. Proper orientation is the important thing. Once you get used to it, you will wonder how you ever got by with the smaller one.
Now that I have both I find I can pick and choose which will do the job necessary, sometimes it's both!
KJozsa, I have a friend of many years who is Hungarian, but, the relationship with "Egri Bikaver" is older than my friendship with Anton, it goes way back to a particularly delicious leg of lamb with roasted potatoes when I was about seventeen! The evening was a real pleasure for the date as well!

Thanks for the hints and welcomes! Considering the upgrade to the larger kettle in the last two days, I tend to lean towards keeping my 18" while I gather more experience with the various types of cooking on it and this forum looks like a really excellent, friendly place to learn. This aligns with the "worry less, grill more" mentality which I find really useful :)

Speaking of which, here are some burgers I fixed up with red cheddar and fried onions yesterday evening:
99qo3p.jpg

Kristof,
The technique is the same on either grill so, you will only need to learn a little more about fire control and then the quest for "gadgets" will set in. I started on a 22 when I was about fourteen it's by far the most versatile piece of equipment in my grilling arsenal. The gift from my brother of a rotisserie set up has been lots of fun. The gourmet grate was a gift from my wife and like I say, I use the straight grill most, the cast iron insert hangs on the wall most of the time.
From your pictures, you have a good grasp of how it works, whatever you do, keep posting and enjoy the feasting!

Welcome to the forum. Another nice thing about the master touch is it sits up higher. So if you're a taller person you will feel more conformable cooking on it.

I raised my performer height by about six inches and being over 6' my back is much happier. When I go to the lake next time I will raise the grill there at least three inches, my back was pretty tired after a week there. If I had not had Lake Huron to stretch it out in, I'd have been pretty sorry indeed!

I just bought a NIB Master Touch the other day at Walmart for $99. I had recently gotten rid of all of my 22" Kettles except two Performers and kind of regretted selling all of the three leg kettles so when I saw the MT for half off, I jumped on it.

Wayne

I always go green in envy on US prices :) Our end of season sale gets you a new Master Touch for about $315 and it's normal street price is around $375!

For the record, I pulled the trigger at a 2016 Master Touch Special Edition at last (this one having the Weber 8843 stainless grates, not the Weber 8835). To add some horror for you lucky ones in the US, this purchase was made at an extra friendly -25% deal at the end of the season with an end price of a tad below $350 and it even came without the warming rack (a $40 accessory around here) - hey, welcome to Europe :)

Coming to the good parts, this thing is tall and feels huge after my 18", the tuck-away lid holder makes all the difference during use, and at last I don't feel I'm short on space every minute. I'm glad I jumped for it at the end!

Oh and a quick question after two uses, do you use a single load of the Weber chimney starter for grilling with a 22" or you keep two chimneys around? I have only a single one and I didn't even fill it fully but I felt I could use some more fuel to lengthen grilling time.. Thanks!

Back