Considering Genesis Smart Grill. Some questions.

So, I popped into a local Ace today. You’re right… that indigo blue is pretty sweet looking. I had been confusing that with the other blue which I didn’t care for as much. Everything seemed to be on sale, and better priced than what the website was showing. Unfortunately, my daughter was waiting in the car and had my phone. So, I was both rushed and unable to take pictures to remember the details.

They had two versions of that indigo, one I think at $1,029 and one at $899. Both looked like they had the 9mm SS grates. One appeared to come with the griddle. Unsure what other differences. They also had the Smart version with the black lid which was sold out in most online places.

I think I could live without the Smart feature. Although, I do still think having a digital temperature readout and gas level on the grill would be useful.

Now the question is will I regret not going with the bigger 4 burner version. I’d feel more confident that it would be large enough for me to leave the griddle insert in except for the rare occasion when I’m grilling for a big group. Then again, will it even fit in my grilling area. With the 3 burner, I figure that I might be swapping the griddle out more often. Also, looks like all of the 4 burner models are stainless steel lid, which I just don’t like the look of, especially after now seeing the indigo and black lids in person.

I do feel like I should grab one this weekend given those sale prices at Ace right now. 😁

I like the size of my 3 burner plus sear E330. It's not my only grill yet it is a good size.

If I really wanted a griddle, I think I'd get a Blackstone or a Weber slate. Just an idea. For the cost difference of a non-smart genny 335 you could put that money towards a dedicated griddle.

I like the size of my 3 burner plus sear E330. It's not my only grill yet it is a good size.

If I really wanted a griddle, I think I'd get a Blackstone or a Weber slate. Just an idea. For the cost difference of a non-smart genny 335 you could put that money towards a dedicated griddle.
I just don’t think I could make it fit. Plus, three grills out there is going to raise some eyebrows from the better half. 😁

Keep a spare tank. Swap when it runs out.
That is what I do. But, I have a couple of those gauges like posted above from tanks that I got free with my rehabs. I just never use them, other than the one that came with one the tanks. It is not really like the one above. It seems to be just clamped on with a plastic bracket....it is loose, but I can attest, the dang thing is quite accurate. I don't see how it actually measures the gas in the tank though.

Here is the gauge. It does not directly connect to the tank in any way. It is simple held in place (loosely) by the plastic bracket. I have no idea how this thing reads the propane level of the tank, but it is quite accurate nevertheless. Of course it is reading 100% as I just had the tank filled a few days ago and I don't think I have even cooked on it yet. It is on my Q200.

If anyone knows the science behind this kind of gauge, I would like to hear it.

Good to know and good point.

I suppose I could spend a few bucks for something like this to reduce my “running out of gas anxiety.” 😁

Those are really just pressure gauges. As LP tanks run down the static pressures drop off a little. So that gauge reflects it. Again like anything not entirely accurate but sort of OK. Honestly the only really accurate way is to take an empty tank and weigh it. Then have it filled. Then you know the "tare" weight (some tanks also have a tare marked on them) and then once filled weigh it. Then you can watch that weight. Truly the only really accurate way to know

Here is the gauge. It does not directly connect to the tank in any way. It is simple held in place (loosely) by the plastic bracket. I have no idea how this thing reads the propane level of the tank, but it is quite accurate nevertheless. Of course it is reading 100% as I just had the tank filled a few days ago and I don't think I have even cooked on it yet. It is on my Q200.

If anyone knows the science behind this kind of gauge, I would like to hear it.

It measures the temperature of the valve. As the tanks begin to empty the valve runs colder because there is more expansion of the remaining gas as it leaves the tank. Sort of like how an air conditioning system works. For example. Whenever we'd see evaporators icing up it was a pretty clear sign the system was low on R12. Because the gas would expand too rapidly and too soon in the evap core, causing it to ice up and not actually cool the car interior. So that gauge basically is reading the temp of the valve. As gas passes through it there is a cooling effect. The greater the expansion i.e. the lower the LP level the more expansion takes place in the valve and the colder it will run. I never saw one of those but the second I saw your vid I knew exactly what it was doing

Larry, if it was 90 degrees outside, that thing would read accurately, whether I am using the grill or not.

Anyone know what the difference is between these two grills? They both are listed as SA-E-330 Indigo, no side burner, both have 9mm SS grates, griddle insert, etc. There is a $100 price difference. Only thing I can see is the more expensive one is listed as “Ace Exclusive” and has silver handles on the door. They also have two Indigo 325 models that look similarly identical, but priced differently with one labeled “Ace Exclusive.”

What am I missing? Thanks!

Anyone know what the difference is between these two grills? They both are listed as SA-E-330 Indigo, no side burner, both have 9mm SS grates, griddle insert, etc. There is a $100 price difference. Only thing I can see is the more expensive one is listed as “Ace Exclusive” and has silver handles on the door. They also have two Indigo 325 models that look similarly identical, but priced differently with one labeled “Ace Exclusive.”

What am I missing? Thanks!

I didn't scour through every detail, but I can say that the more expensive one is last year's model. You can tell by the uneven length tables.

I didn't scour through every detail, but I can say that the more expensive one is last year's model. You can tell by the uneven length tables.
I think you’re on to something. Here’s the only two differences I could find in the specs. It appears last year’s model is a bit bigger? I’ll take that extra space for $100. I also like the look of the door handles a little bit better on that $1,199 version. Is there any other reason I should go with this year’s model? Strange that it’s less expensive?

The $1,199 model:
  • Nominal Width: 62 inch
  • Total Cooking Area: 787 square inch
The $1,099 model
  • Nominal Width: 57 inch
  • Total Cooking Area: 641 square inch

I don't think the grilling area is larger/smaller between them, just the overall width due to that weird looking lopsided side table

I can’t tell for sure, but from the photos on the Ace website it looks like maybe the cheaper one doesn’t have the expandable upper cooking rack? Unfortunately, they only have the $1099 one displayed at the store.

IMG_0250.jpeg

Or, possibly a mistake on the reported cooking area on the website?

The $1,099 one does have a “new” logo on the Ace website and only 1 review compared to 28 reviews for the other one. So, that would be consistent with one being last year’s model.

Back