Conclusion of 1st Smoke on 22.5 & Questions

BBrock

Well, I had my 1st smoke on the 22.5 over the weekend. I ran into some issues that I wanted to get some input on. 1st, I used a calibrated ET-732 for this smoke. The Maverick and the dome thermometer were about 40 degress apart to start, then about 5 hours later, they were about 10 degrees apart. By the time I finished the smoke after about 10 hours, they were dead even. Any thoughts as to why that would be? I used the minion method and was able to get about 5 hours of cooking time before I had to add any fuel. I added a full chimney and had to add 1/2 a chimney later on to finish out after about 11 hours. I didn't experience any high cooking temps, which was good, they seemed to stay on the lower side. I am guessing since it was about 35 where I am, this used more fuel, am I correct? I messed around with the vents quite a bit and every time I would open the bottom vents at all, the temperature would drop pretty substantially. I had to pretty much leave all of the vents closed in order to keep the temps where I needed them. Thinking it's a result of the temperature.

Pretty successful smoke, I am just wondering about the therm on the dome. Also, there is some moisture in the dial already, is this normal? Thanks.

I'm not sure but the temp difference could be due to the fact that early in the cook, the grate thermometer is close to cold meat so it may be reading lower. Ive gotten to a point where I know what the dome therm needs to be on to cook how I want to cook. I know it may not match the temp at the grate but I know that if I get it riding around 250, it will stick there and cook like a champ.

As for fuel, how much did you start with? Being cold could certainly cause you to use more fuel but I'm confused about your vent situation. Typically, opening the bottom vents will raise the temp.

The dome thermometers are usually off some compared to the grate temp, not a big deal. Mine had some moisture in the dial but that went away after a few cooks. I believe wind currents can do funny things inside the smoker, which may be why it worked better with the vents partially closed?

First time smokes tend to fluctuate until the smoker gets greased down and seals off. That's what makes it fun and learning from this website.

...I messed around with the vents quite a bit and every time I would open the bottom vents at all, the temperature would drop pretty substantially...

:confused: I have no idea unless it's a combination of the fact that you've got a new and quite leaky cooker that had allowed most of all your charcoal to have already engaged and the wind was bad. That's only speculation on my part though, because this is a new one on me. What did you notice in terms of smoke leakage? I'd want to make sure that there wasn't any out-of-round issue, which would usually be with the middle section. If so, like the door, dome, and bowl, it can be carefully tweaked for better fit. It's not like it has to be air tight, but the temp should go up after opening vents, not the other way around. Allow fifteen minutes or more after vent changes to see any change in temp, though.

I just sold an 18 1/2 inch WSM and I ALWAYS left all the vents fully closed except the top vent. I do use a DigiQ DX2 GURU Temp controller and it would NAIL the temp at whatever I set it, as long as I left the top vent about 1 /2 open, but no more. I did my first smoke on my 22 1/2 inch WSM this past weekend, obvisously thought I still had an 18 1/2 and I loaded it too heavily with charcoal, DID NOT use the Minion Technique, and my temperature was all over the map, running on the high side with all vents closed except leaving the top one slightly open. Even when my fan shut off on the DigiQ, I was running 30-40 degrees over target. I got a late start and after filing the ring I dumped a full lit chimney in on top of that. Also, it being first smoke, It was probably leaking a bit more than it should be. I was getting smoke out of my lid, and my side door. I'm hoping it will seal up some and From now on, I will put a bit LESS charcoal unles I'm doing a long smoke but I will ALWAYS use the Minion method on long smokes from now on. It's a learning process on a new and larger smoker. I shut all the vents, put my "Killer Plug" in and that pit was still showing 150 degress the next day. Keep in mind, many on here, including me, have always said the Weber thermometers are not accurate generally speaking. I have a 11 pound brisket I'm going to smoke hopefully by this weekend, and I hope I'm able to control my temp much better using the Minion Method. I've gotten 14 hours non-stop on my smaller 18 1/2 without adding fuel, smoking at 225, so I have full faith this 22 1/2 will go somewhat longer. Hope this helps somebody, you guys/gals have been a big help to me.

I cleaned grill today, had a ton of coals left over. Decided to do ribs sat instead of brisket, something I have more experience with.

Back