Complete Failure - Yep, fail...

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
You don't see bad dishes posted very often so I thought I would be the first. I have a vegan daughter so I try to be accommodating whenever possible with meals. Tonight we had black bean soup with my first attempt at home made bread! To make it TVWBB worthy, I decided to make one loaf on the Weber in my Lodge DO.

The actual dough making went well (no pictures as my hands were a mess) but when I placed the dough into a bowl so it could rest and rise, we had an issue. It was a bit too cold for the yeast to do it's magic and I mostly had sticky dough that was a pain to work with. I put one loaf in a bread pan and the oven. the other loaf went into the DO and onto the Weber.

IMG_6654_zps9e8e877d.jpg

Here is my bread dough that went into the oven.

IMG_6653_zpsa5932a86.jpg

This is my other loaf inside my Lodge DO. I just sorta guessed on the briquets for heat. Tried to hit 375

IMG_6656_zpse1eb3211.jpg

Here is my very first loaf of bread! My daughter tried a piece and said "It tastes like bread". It was ok at best and was a bit chewy. The crust was better but it still was "lacking" at best.

IMG_6658_zpse1df3508.jpg

This is a close up of my DO loaf. Holy crap this was a tragedy at best. I had one piece that I sliced off and tried to give it to the dog. She wisely buried it.

Soooooo - My bread didn't rise, my DO cook was a disaster and the final nail in the coffin was the review for my black bean soup " It's not terrible". Please remember that things don't always work out but there is always tomorrow.

Me too... Been there done that... I tossed out food because it was horrible.. But there's always tomorrow.

I think we all have. I use these as challeneges to get it right newxt time by changing this or adjusting that. Your gonna look back at this and snicker once you figure it out.

Yup, we all have our... not so shining moments in the culinary arts :p

On another note, I've done bread in a Weber before. I prefer the WSM and you have to rig a system to feed the coals lots of air. You need lots of charcoal to get it in the 450-475 range. Preheat the dutch oven. Toss in the dough and cover it for 30 min. Keep the grill cranking. Take off the lid and cook for an additional 15-20 min.
Two books for recommendations that completely changed the way I make bread. My Bread by Jim Lahey and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.

I understand. I remember trying to bake a loaf of bread and if I recall, it ended up weighing a little under 87 pounds. :)

Back