Competition BBQ Class

AlanK

You all are so knowledgeable, so I was wondering if someone could recommend a good competition BBQ class? The location is not important, since I travel for work. I'm just looking to step up my game!!

Thank you,
Alan

Harry Soo does a really great class in CA. He is booked for quite a while, but worth the wait. Also, Vince and Alexa from Rythom and Que does a class, but I am not sure of the schedule. You would have to look on their website, but they are a very successful all WSM cooking team. The KCBS (kansas City BBQ Society) also does cooking classes along with BBQ judging classes. Info is available on their website. You may also want to try "Barbecuecoach.com"
Hope this helps.

A couple were mentioned on BBQ Brethren site under the competition heading. I will be going to the one in IL in Feb.

I've been to two here in Florida.

The first one was Swamp Boys Q School, put on by Rob 'Rub' Bagby. Excellent techniques class. Strongly recommended if you are just starting out in competition Q. He just finished on about 3 weeks ago and I'm sure he will have another one coming up very soon. www.swampboys.com

The second one was Big Papa's Competition Cooking School, put on by Dana 'Big Papa' Hillis. He's got one coming up at the end of January. Very good class that teaches as much about technique as flavor profiles. Email him at bigpappabbq@gmail.com. Actually it will be Janet (his wife) who replies as she is the one who keeps Dana moving in the right direction.

I've never been to Myron's class and at this point don't think I'll ever get around to taking it. I have talked to some people that have taken it and they said it was very good, but very big.

For whatever class you take be absolutely sure to bring along a notebook, 2 or 3 pencils, a camera, and if allowed a video camera or audio recorder. It is amazing how crystal clear something they show is at the time they do it but two days later you won't remember it at all. When I took Rob's class I took 15 pages of notes and for the life of me I cannot remember a good bit of what he did until I go back to my notes. Same story with Dana's class. I've heard several people who teach say that you aren't meant to walk away from the class and go do EXACTLY what the instructor did. More, you are supposed to integrate their methods into YOUR methods. My BBQ flavors and methods are the product of my mentor, those two classes, and what I've learned on my own.

One other thing. When you take somebody's class, that information is meant for you and your classmates ONLY. You paid for it so if you share it with others you will be giving away something you paid for, for nothing.

End of rant,
Russ

Harry Soo does a really great class in CA. He is booked for quite a while, but worth the wait. Also, Vince and Alexa from Rythom and Que does a class, but I am not sure of the schedule. You would have to look on their website, but they are a very successful all WSM cooking team.

The Harry Soo class will reduce your learning curve in effectively cooking with WSM's. It's a basic 101 class but the techniques can be applied in competition.

The Rythm 'n Que class would be even better as it teaches competition principles and teqhniques also using WSM's, but I'm not sure how often the classes are held.

Russ,

Well said. Harry uses a class 'manual'. Having found out first hand, if one does not take additional notes, information is quickly forgotten.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Russ,

Thank you for all the valuable information. I was thinking of Myron's class sheduled for January, but I wanted to see what other options there are.

Alan

Hey David,

Don't take my comment the wrong way. I'll help anybody out with information. Heck, I've had people 'join' me just for a portion of the competition just to see how I do things. I've got nothing to hide. Want to know something? Ask me, I'll tell you.

My comment was more for the person who walks up and asks me straight out about what was taught in a class or wants to copy my notes from that class. The instructor makes money from that class and if I just hand out that information for free then I'm hurting that instructor. Not my place to do that.

Russ

My son and I (rank amatuers with only seven competitions under our belts) went to Rod Gray's class (Pellet Envy) in Overland Park, KS this past August. At our next competion after the class we finished 2nd in Ribs and 1st in Brisket....RGC overall...out of 75 competitors. We had never even gotten a call before. As someone said, it's very important to take lots of notes. Even with copious notes, my son and I heard things differently. Rob is good about answering emails to clear things up.

Hi Russ,

Thank you for all the valuable information. I was thinking of Myron's class sheduled for January, but I wanted to see what other options there are.

Alan

Alan I took Myron's class in September of this year. I had a blast and learned a load. Shortly after that I had bariatric surgery (irony at its finest) and haven't been able to compete yet but plan to next year even after surgery. PM me if you have any questions.

Rhythm 'n QUE is currently working on a true competition class schedule for 2013. No details yet but we'll let y'all know when we have some firm dates and locations!

Not that I would ever consider Competition, but being a newbie I'd really like to find some classes to take. However, I'm having a hard time finding anything in the Chicago area. Is there a good place to find listings for decent classes?

On March 29 & 30 there's a class being put on in the Chicago area by the Swamp Boys. Get info at swampboys.com.
I think cost is $500, which is about the going rate. You just missed a class last weekend put on by
cancersuckschicago.com and QUAU, both national champs. They were also charging $500.

Back