Competition Back Ribs

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I did some fooling around today to get ready for a comp next weekend. I did a rack of backs so I could test out a batch of our sauce mixed with brown sugar to make it into more of a glaze. We've been doing ok submitting recipes we like, but think we could do way better if we made our bbq more suited to kcbs judging, hence the overly sweet sauce.

I think I'm giving up on spares for comps despite having success turning them in once. Last comp I had a really hard time slicing between the bones, and we had a slow cooker so they never got done, so we had to turn them in a bit tougher than we like. And even when we get them cooked right AND sliced right, six never look good in the box. I'd be the first to admit a good spare beats a good back, but for me, I know I can make good backs in less time, every time, which is better that the crap shoot that my spares have been.

IMG_2502.jpg

wsm ran around 250* the entire cook. These went 2.5 hours in smoke, and 1.25 in foil. I re-rubbed and gave the thin end another 0.5 out of the foil and the thick end went 0.75. They rested in foil in cooler for about another hour and I opened up the wsm. They got glazed and baked for another 0.5 with the opened up wsm over 350*.

result was great. perfect texture. glaze was a bit sweet for my taste but seems like a good start.

J, I am with you, it is hard to get 6 good looking spares in the turn in box and when I do It just don't look right. I not "BIG" on BB but darn near at every comp it BB over spares. I some time have to cook 2 racks of spares to get the best 6 bones. I been useing more of a glaze on my turn in's instead of a BBQ sauce, The glaze will not cover up the flavor of my rub.

I know nothing about comps, judging any of that. I will say that any judge marking those ribs down based on appearance has to have his head examined.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I know nothing about comps, judging any of that. I will say that any judge marking those ribs down based on appearance has to have his head examined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen!

Amen + 1

Do you dare try a little spice with the sweet?

I mix a little Mezetta Cali Habanero hot twist & shout sauce in just about everything. It has a ton of flavor & my friends who can't stand hot don't even notice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jeff
Your ribs look GREAT hope you do well in your next comp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the love, we'll have a cold one on stand by for you if you're up to a hour plus drive to boston.

we can't do much worse than roc city. I think we're ready to turn a corner. We all know what great bbq wsm is capable of producing, its just a matter of figuring out how to create the most intense bite of meat you can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I been useing more of a glaze on my turn in's instead of a BBQ sauce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we tasted the turn in of a team that did much better than us, and my partner basically remembers it as tasting like candy. This was bordering on cloying. One taste was ok, but it was tough to eat more than three ribs when I'm usually good for 7-8. However, I'm really interested to see how they will score if I back off on the sweet some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I will say that any judge marking those ribs down based on appearance has to have his head examined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they'll be in a styrofoam box though, without the cornbread and dramatic lighting.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Do you dare try a little spice with the sweet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

since I'm a proud buffalonian, I'm never one to back down from good heat, however our first comp where we submitted HOT ribs, our scores for taste were all over the map. You just never know whether your judges will be ok with heat or not.

Those ribs look amazing...nice photography too. That picture belongs on the cover of a magazine!

How do you get them to cut so cleanly? Whenever I cut mine, they frey and never look that perfect. Taste great, but definitely not "magazine cover" material.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you get them to cut so cleanly? Whenever I cut mine, they frey and never look that perfect. Taste great, but definitely not "magazine cover" material. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a sharp knife.

also these were actually cold when I cut them and shot them, so the fat had seized back up.

I don't like my ribs to over done. the meat pulls clean from the bone with a bite but doesn't fall off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They look like award winning ribs to me!
Please let us know how you placed in the comp. GOOD LUCK!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like the sugar helped, we managed to score a 168.5714 (4th place) which was a couple points higher than our previous best score.

The ribs beat out some heavy hitters, including the RGC and the current KCBS national points leader. I know there's variation in judging and sometimes things don't go the way you like, but its still a nice feeling to go head-to-head with the best and come out on top.

We ended up 11th overall. I figured we needed to cook our brains out to get into the top 10 so we weren't disappointed with the finish. Now we need to get our other meats up to ribs.

j -

I'm looking for the recipe. Where did you post it?
icon_wink.gif

Those ribs look fantastic. A well deserved score and placing.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm looking for the recipe. Where did you post it? Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm, I can't seem to find it either.
icon_wink.gif

We make all our own sauces and rubs and sometimes I wonder if it puts us at a disadvantage. I certainly think we'd do better if everybody have to make their own recipes. I feel like store bought rubs/sauces/FAB are just one more equalizing force that makes the whole comp thing a big crap shoot.

Last weekend, our motto was: for some, a bbq comp is camping with something to do. When you buy everything off the shelf, run a thermostatically controlled pellet smoker, and have a giant rv it seems to take away most of the challenge of it all.

I guess we're just a bit jaded.

Congratulations on your finish up in Boston! Those ribs look wonderful!

It may hurt me, but I'm trying BB next time out. I've done spares and done ok. Cooked Baby Backs for father's day that were absolutely stellar, got to try them in competition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Congratulations on your finish up in Boston! Those ribs look wonderful!

It may hurt me, but I'm trying BB next time out. I've done spares and done ok. Cooked Baby Backs for father's day that were absolutely stellar, got to try them in competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we've tried this recipe three times, twice with spares and once with backs.

Our best appearance score was with backs but it was also the first for a parsley bed.

Our best taste score was with backs but it was also our sweetest submission.

Our texture scores were the same for all three. which is absurd because the last time we turned in spares they were woefully underdone but yet yielded the same score as two that were just about right.

I love the way backs cut. I think they are now officially the easiest to box. I pick the best rack, slice between each bone keeping the bones in order, grab six, in a row, from the middle, and lay it on the parsley bed.

Ribs look gorgeous. I agree, the meat candy that is preferred by judges is definetely not my taste either. When I do want something a little on the sweeter, i use Texas Pepper Jelly in Pineapple Habanero, amazing product. Has the nice sweet from the pineapple, but the heat is great too. I make my own sauces, outside of the TPJ, and they are always more on the vinegar and pepper side than sweet.

Interesting note on the texture scores...there should have been some difference there with the ones you said were undercooked. I think sometimes, the judges are just average joes who really don't know what they are looking for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think sometimes, the judges are just average joes who really don't know what they are looking for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

certainly in my neck of the woods. I'd assume they're ideal rib probably came from applebee's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I hsve scored higher with spares though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd think a tender spare beats a tender back, however I'm finding the backs are easier for me to get to tender and in less time.

well in wisconsin if the ribs arent boiled to pieces, covered in liquid smoke, then deluged in confectioner sugar based sauce the average joe wouldnt know what to do with em heh.

Back