Commercial sauces and rubs

Matt H

TVWBB Fan
I'm sure a lot of you make your own sauces and rubs. I like to do the same when I can.

But for the bbqer on the go, what are your favorite store bought rubs and sauces?

I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub, Plowboys Yardbird rub and Texas BBQ Rub. Some sauces I like are Sweet Baby Ray's, Bullseye Original and Bone Suckin' Sauce.

i have liked all of the Dizzy Pig rubs i have tried. but most of them are made with Turbinado sugar and i am on a carb/sugar restricted diet. i do still use their cow lick steak rub as it is sugar free and very good when i am in the mood for more than salt and pepper on my steak. for pork and chicken i have grown fond of Bad Byron's Butt Rub as it is sugar free and very good as long as you don't pile it on(it's a tad salty).

for sauce i prefer to make steve's no.5 sauce with heinz one carb no sugar added ketchup and splenda brown sugar blend. but before my diet i loved me some Head Country BBQ sauce.

I'll second the Bad Byrons. Nice heat,but not too much. For sauces,if you can find it,Sticky Fingers Tennessee style,or JD's old #7 is pretty tasty.

I generally don't use commercial sauces for a coupla reasons. But I agree with Tony in that the Dizzy Pig rubs (at least the ones I've tried) are good. I'm also fortunate in that their production facility is less than five miles from my house, and their rubs are sold in local Whole Foods stores.

Sauces -
Salt Lick Spicy Lauren's Recipe
Head Country
Pee Dee River Swamp Sauce

Rub
Texas BBQ Rub
Head Country

-Don

I used to always use KC Original for everything and never liked SBRs but now depending on the meat and rub I use both.

I use sauce sparingly so it is more of a tempering of the rub I go for so I'm usually more than happy with store bought sauces although it is fun to make my own.

Rubs I'm still experimenting with.

Sauces: I love the Original from Brothers BBQ, but they make a Tangy Vinegar that is very good, as well as a Hot, a Sweet, and a Carolina Mustard Sauce. These guys basically give you your choice of the country for your style of BBQ. I think you can only get their sauces online though at this address http://www.brothers-bbq.com/

For a couple of brothers from the UK living in Denver, they know their BBQ.

Rubs: Plowboys Yardbird and Bovine Bold, Head Country, Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama, & 3 Little Pigs

Sauces: Blues Hog BBQ Sauce and Tennessee Red, Head Country, & Reverend Marvins Oiginal and Hot

Rubs: Penzy's, Dizzy Pig, Famous Daves, and I like the Grill Mates pork rub as well.

Sauces: Famous Daves! I like Texas Pit best. Stubbs sauces and marinades are really good too.

Rubs: Grub Rub, Famous Daves & Salt Lick. Salt LIck is pretty spicy (heavy on pepper) though. Some people think it makes the meat too hot.

Sauces: Salt Lick Original and Salt Lick Lauren's Spicy Recipe for pulled pork. For beef and ribs i like Austin's Own. Rudy's makes some pretty good stuff too.

Back