Coleslaw help for pulled pork

Rob

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to make pulled pork for a party using a Memphis style BBQ sauce to finish. Sauce has cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, etc... So it's deep in good smells and flavor. I'm looking for a really good slaw that is not vinegar based. I've done the carolina style before and don't think it will fit this recipe...

Rob,

While I don't have much experience with non-vinegar based slaws, I do think you could modify the recipe below to get what you're looking for. I think replacing the cider vinegar with a blend of champagne or rice vinegar would bring the acidity down to a manageable level.

From www.smittenkitchen.com , via Gourmet Magazine

Dead Simple Slaw
Gourmet, June 2008

This slaw is both sweet and tart, surprisingly bold for the small number of ingredients. While it goes perfectly on top of pulled pork barbecue, I like it on the side as well.

2 1/2 lb green cabbage, cored and cut into 3-inch chunks, then finely chopped or shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar

Toss all vegetables in a large bowl with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar, then toss with slaw. Chill, covered, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour (for vegetables to wilt and flavors to blend).

Slaw can be chilled up to 1 day.

My favorite slaw with pulled pork is based upon something I adapted from a Bobby Flay version. Use your favorite cabbage or cheat and buy the pre-shredded bag. The dressing goes something like this:

1/2 cup mayo
juice of 1 lime
1 chipotle in adobo
1 tbl chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

I'm sure I never make it exactly the same way twice, because it's just in my head, not written down. The dressing is made without actual measurements, and is adapted depending on how much cabbage I'm using . . . and the chipotle is increased or decreased depending on my mood and who will be eating.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I love bobby flays green onion slaw recipe he did for a throw down.

Dressing is olive oil, mayo, serrano chilis, green onion and some stuff blended up. It was very very tasty.

Just for a twist I added some wasabi to my slaw once (I had some at a restaurant) and now it is the only way my family wants me to make it.

The Neely's sweet and spicy slaw is my go to side. i made a huge batch saturday for about 30 people and there was none left. everyone who has tried it loves it. i have always omitted the onion and have been using splenda granular or liquid splenda and i like the results better than using sugar.

I'll pile on here too.
icon_biggrin.gif
My favorite slaw for pulled pork. Horseradish slaw

I'll have to ask my S-I-L where she got the recipe, but she makes a Napa Cabbage Slaw with an Asian flair to it.

It has slivered almonds and even a little ramen noodles in it. Flavored with Sesame oil. The stuff is dynamite!

(Although if you're looking for a slaw to actually put on a sammie - don't know how this would work...)

The Neely's recipe has a comment at the end that says to let the coleslaw rest for at least two hours. I have to second that. Any coleslaw my wife has made tastes better the next day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
The Neely's recipe has a comment at the end that says to let the coleslaw rest for at least two hours. I have to second that. Any coleslaw my wife has made tastes better the next day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i always make mine the night before and i salt the cabbage(as bryan s suggested) for 3 hours minimum to draw the moisture out before i mix it with the dressing.

I prefer a vinegar based slaw, so thats what I usually make, but I have done the neely slaw and it is good. Mine is really simple, just oil, red wine vinegar, Lawry's, ans sugar.

I too let it sit for at least a couple hours.

My wife is from Memphis and we loved Leonard's Pit BBQ...Leonard's uses the traditional Memphis mustard style slaw with the old school Memphis vinegar base pork sauce...it works perfectly.

Rachelin has his interpretation of Leonard's mustard slaw in one of his books that's pretty good...BUT

I have to chuckle when I see replies talking bout slaw on the SIDE...
icon_smile.gif
)...true Memphis pulled pork is about putting the slaw on TOP of the meat in a sandwich...that means the sauce's flavors must marry with the taste of the slaw and the meat.

Back