Cold Wind vs WSM

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
Well, I always thought that the “wind vs WSM” discussions were due to the wind sucking the heat out of the WSM through the open vents. I started 2-9 lb butts yesterday after noon at just before 4 pm with temps in the mid 30’s and variable winds under 5 mph. I knew the temps were going to drop and the winds were going to kick up over night but I decided to go with the Guru only, no Silver Jacket. I stirred the coals at round 10 pm last night to dislodge dust, which I always have to do at around the 6 to 8 hour mark, and the temps recovered ~ humming along at 220º. Got up at 4 am to do my daily early morning business and found the temps down around 200º so I stirred the coals again and noticed the charcoal level was quite low but would suffice until I got up around 7 am. The cold front pushed through at around 4 am which caused the temps to drop from the mid 30’s to the mid 20’s and the wind direction shifted from the south and south east to the west. Our house blocks any southerly winds but the west winds are coming right off the Niagara River and unabated. At 7 am, I had to refuel with the pit temp down around 190º ~ 3 fireplace shovels full of Kingsford (old) and I raised the pit temp to 235º to make up for lost time. At 11:30 am, same thing and I had been unable to get the pit temp over 210º .. Soooooo, I put 5 shovels of Kingsford (new) in and put the Silver Jacket on. 5 minutes later, the temp was at 235º.

Now, I always thought that a cold 15 mph wind wouldn’t stop the WSM from getting to temp while using the Guru with the top vent open just 1/3, just cause it to use more fuel ~ WRONG! Lesson learned. Use a wind-break!!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back