Cold Weather Brisket Smoking

Gerry Ackerman

I'm going to smoke brisket on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day consumption and the overnight temperature on Dec. 24 in Nashville will be around 40 degrees. I'm a big fan of the Minion Method but I was wondering if anyone had a solid suggestion for keeping the coals hot (225) on a cold night. As of right now, wind doesn't seem like it will be a factor. I'll likely start around at 8 pm for a 12-14 hour smoke. Thoughts or suggestions?

I'm going to smoke brisket on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day consumption and the overnight temperature on Dec. 24 in Nashville will be around 40 degrees. I'm a big fan of the Minion Method but I was wondering if anyone had a solid suggestion for keeping the coals hot (225) on a cold night. As of right now, wind doesn't seem like it will be a factor. I'll likely start around at 8 pm for a 12-14 hour smoke. Thoughts or suggestions?
Sorry, didn't include that I'm on a Weber SM 22.5.

Start with a few more lit coals and you should be fine. And I'll speak for everyone in northern climates when I say: let me know when it gets cold!

WSM's run like a champ in cold wether, wind is the worst enemy. I've cooked in -20c with zero issues.

Should I set an alarm for an overnight temp check if I load up on charcoal when I start or should I add more coals before I go to bed. Or perhaps both?

You shouldn't need to reload if you start with a full ring. I can run my 18.5" for 16+ hours on a full load.

Should I set an alarm for an overnight temp check if I load up on charcoal when I start or should I add more coals before I go to bed. Or perhaps both?

When I'm doing an overnight cook, either in cold weather or warm, I usually stay up for an hour or two after I start the smoker. That gives me time to get the smoker dialed in and stabilized, and when I go to bed I can sleep without worry. I usually wake up after four or five hours to go to the bathroom and check it then, then go back to bed and check it again when I get up for the day, after another three to four hours of sleep.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I always use the Minion Method with a full chimney of lit coals.

O.K., I need some info. I cooked butts at 32* outside temperature using the Minion method of cooking. I couldn't keep the temps up. What's the trick to cooking at low temps? I always use the Minion method and end up keeping all of the vents wide open. For colder temps should I start with more charcoal lighted and the vents closed down to keep the temps at 225 - 250 and just add lots of charcaol as the cook progressives?

WSM's run like a champ in cold wether, wind is the worst enemy. I've cooked in -20c with zero issues.
I just picked up a 5# flat this morning and it's on my 18.5 right now for a HH cook in 15-degree weather here in St. Paul MN. It's out of the wind and I'm using the BBQ Guru Smoker Jacket. It's holding 325 degrees with no problem with the Digi-Q DX2 and the 10 cfm fan. Should make for a yummy lunch.

Happy Holidays to all, however you choose to celebrate them! :wsm:

Back