Cold weather bbqing

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
I learned a very useful little trick for using my WSM in cold temps over the holidays.

In my exuberance to smoke something over the holidays, okay that doesn't sound quite right, I decided to do 2 pork butts when the temps here in Alberta were -27c (-16f).

I began by filling the water pan, thats because I got a copy of "The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook" for Christmas and that was how the method I was reading about did. I've personally always used a dry pan with a heat sink. p.s. it is a great cookbook

Anyways I believed that utilizing my iQue 110 would allow me to get my temps to the 250f that I wanted. However I quess with the temp and the wind I could not get above 160f. This got me scrambling to find some way of insulating my WSM so that I could salvage my cook.

What I discovered is that a 4.0 cubic ft moving box with both set up end flaps opened up fits perfectly around my 18.5in WSM. I also placed a piece of cardboard over the top. The gaps between the endflaps when vertical was enough to vent the WSM. After placing this over my WSM it got up to temp in 10 mins. I constantly checked on the setup because I was concerned that I might ignite the cardboard but it was fine and there were no scortch marks anywhere on the box and I ran this for 10 hours. This cheap fix worked great and will become my windbreak and insulation solution.

The dimensions of the box are:
39.5" tall including the end flaps
each side panel is 18"
side panel height excluding end flaps is 21" end flaps are 9.25"

CIMG0842.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CIMG0840.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CIMG0838.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CIMG0832.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Ken

Last edited:
k walsh;
It would be helpful to a lot of folks if you would take a few pictures of the set up. You don't have to be smoking, just to let use see exactly how this works.

It sounds like a great idea. It IS important to make sure you don't set the box on fire:mad:...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. A link to a specific box would be helpful, also. As an example, I looked at Lowes box online(4.5 cubic feet labeled "Large" and the dimensions don't seem to work.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_167398-33-1...ox&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=moving+box&facetInfo=

Not intending to be critical just would like a bit more information on this very useful idea. rdm

Last edited:
I will try to get some photos up in the next couple of days and will include box dimensions. I made a mistake, it is a 4 cubic foot box.
Ken

Back