Cold Weather BBQ'in!

Jeff Rushe

TVWBB Member
there's something about a smooth sheet of ice in my driveway this morning that sparked the thought of BBQ'ing in my head.

...and in my 4th year of BBQ'ing, this would actually be the first time BBQ'ing in the cold (expecting low 30's during the day this weekend).

With all the countless threads of such a subject, I hopefully wanted to set some things straight....

And not to spark another "debate" or anything, but should I be using warm/hot water in my water pan...or would the clay pot bottom work better (or more efficiently) in cold weather situations??

Anything else I should be aware of with BBQ'ing in the cold? Should I be expecting to re-fuel more often with longer cooks? ...although right now I'm thinking about spares.

Thanks as always for the thoughts and suggestions.

Go Pats, and I'll hopefully have some pics for you all this time next week!

Wind effects the WSM more than cold does - when in doubt I wrap my WSM in a Water Heater Blanket with the overlap on the lee side - and thru the overlap I adjust the vent :WSM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
Wind effects the WSM more than cold does - when in doubt I wrap my WSM in a Water Heater Blanket with the overlap on the lee side - and thru the overlap I adjust the vent :WSM: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, the lee side from where you are is to the west
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
Wind effects the WSM more than cold does - when in doubt I wrap my WSM in a Water Heater Blanket with the overlap on the lee side - and thru the overlap I adjust the vent :WSM: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, the lee side from where you are is to the west
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have to tell someone from that old whaling port what LEE means? Its a town in Berkshire County
icon_wink.gif

Actually, it the opposite of WINDWARD!

GEE!!!

ah yes....way out in Western MA. Sometimes I feel bad for the folks west of Worcester...its like they're not a part of the state.
icon_wink.gif

...however, being from the North Shore area, that sounds really good lately! Way too crowded up here.

Wind is the hardest to defend, blows the heat right off the smoker. I have an E-Z up I use for competition with 3 walls...I place the smokers in the farthest corner out of the wind and it does the trick...you may need to add more coals sooner in a long cook, over 8 hrs if you are doing brisket for shoulder, but RIBS and chicken can get done via the minion method...good luck, I'm doing 6 slabs this weekend at the end of my garage, trying some MAPLE wood...get excited!

I'm lazy and have not made myself a windscreen. I have, however, cooked in some pretty cold weather. Wind is really the only issue. I look at the weather.com site and if it's going to be a calm weekend in the winter, I'm usually going to cook. I have to say, it's not much different than a summer cook except that I don't tend to watch my WSM for very long (too cold to be standing there looking at a thermometer). If you don't want to watch or wait for the weather, you need a wind break - winter or otherwise.

yeah, go figure. Now we're supposed to have wind gusts of up to 50mph on Sunday.......along with heavy snow turning to heavy rain.

luckily the way the fence in my backyard is set up, it could quite possibly act as a wind breaker.

...still up in the air as to WHEN the storm will hit, so I'm still keeping hope!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back