Cold smoking in the WSM

Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I use a soldering iron in a old cooking pan full of wood chips. Seems to work pretty well.

Dumb question, but how do you run the cord through? And do you get decent smoke?

I have one and it uses a tea candle to start the wood dust, you take out the candle and it smolders for 10 hours or so. I've not used mine in the WSM yet but I have on my kettle and it works great.
Jeff

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I use a soldering iron in a old cooking pan full of wood chips. Seems to work pretty well.

Dumb question, but how do you run the cord through? And do you get decent smoke? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My WSM charcoal door is pretty loose, I run the cord through there. I get decent smoke so long as I agitate the pan every couple hours to bring fresh chips in contact with the heat.

My WSM charcoal door is pretty loose, I run the cord through there. I get decent smoke so long as I agitate the pan every couple hours to bring fresh chips in contact with the heat.

That makes sense. I have a soldering iron that would definitely work, and I also have a burner from a broken food dehydrator that's almost the perfect size but I don't know if it would get hot enough. I'm not sure if it will generate enough heat, though. I'm hoping to be able to smoke cheese when it's warm outside, although I suspect I may make out OK with a water pan full of icewater and 2-3 lit coals.

I've been playing with a smoke daddy and have had some decent results. All it takes is 2-3 hours to lay on some nice smoke flavor to a slab of bacon, sausage, or jerky.

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:

Dumb question, but how do you run the cord through? And do you get decent smoke? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cord into WSM- here is a possible solution:
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=...141036116#4141036116

I have a soldering iron that would definitely work
You should use a new soldering iron for this, they are less then $10. You don't want fumes from solder etc in the food
icon_frown.gif
. I've had a lot of luck using a soldering iron and tin can in my weber kettle, especially with cheeses. Like Dave said, just a shake every 1-2 hours and add some more chips if needed.

I would imagine that a tin can could work even better than an old pot if you get the soldering iron all the way down in there due to gravity "feed" as teh chips closest to the iron burn up and disintegrate. Still would have to agitate it every so often due to ash buildup but maybe not so often.

Make sure you use an unlined can. Most food (and beer) cans these days are lined with a thin layer of plastic.

Originally posted by John Goin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a soldering iron that would definitely work
You should use a new soldering iron for this, they are less then $10. You don't want fumes from solder etc in the food
icon_frown.gif
. I've had a lot of luck using a soldering iron and tin can in my weber kettle, especially with cheeses. Like Dave said, just a shake every 1-2 hours and add some more chips if needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure that fumes from at used solder iron is the least of your worries if you use a clean, but used soldering iron in your WSM. Come on- how much poison can the used solder on the tip release? The mass of the solder is almost impossible to calculate. Compared to the natural and then "healthy" smoke this will be less than next to nothing.

Wood releases unhealty particles when burned under oxygen deprived conditions. Live with it. It's tasty!

Originally posted by Geir Widar:

Cord into WSM- here is a possible solution:
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=...141036116#4141036116

Geir -- that's a very nice solution. I've been looking for some type of connector that would make it a little easier, but haven't found much online yet.

I also have a burner element from a food dehyrdrator. It was in a defective (cracked) base, and I've been considering using it for very low and slow cooks.

I'm sure that fumes from at used solder iron is the least of your worries if you use a clean, but used soldering iron in your WSM. Come on- how much poison can the used solder on the tip release? The mass of the solder is almost impossible to calculate. Compared to the natural and then "healthy" smoke this will be less than next to nothing.

Geir, we will have to agree to disagree on this. I love the flavors that come from smoking and grilling foods, however that does not include poisons like lead (solder) or acids (flux)no matter the amount.

While I agree that a new soldering iron would be the best route to take, using a clean used one won't hurt anything. Lead and tin are metals that by themselves won't produce smoke. It will simply turn molten and possibly roll off. The smoke would be from the flux. Whether rosin or acid I wouldn't want it near my food.

Cleaning would simply be a matter of letting it heat up fully and then wipe off the tip with a wet paper towel or sponge. If you're really worried about it then after the iron cools off, hit the tip area with some sandpaper. The metals are soft enough that they can be easily sanded off.

Btw, I ordered the cold smoke generator from Mac's. I can't wait to try it out on some cheese, garlic, salt, bacon. Hmm.. maybe I should order some extra dust..

Russ

Back