Cold smoked lox in the works

I wouldn’t stop posting this cook if I was you…..I love it.
Always looks really good……I don’t make it but I wish I did.
Just re arranged the large freezer, Found my 6 large pieces of vac’d salmon!

I wouldn’t stop posting this cook if I was you…..I love it.
Always looks really good……I don’t make it but I wish I did.
Just re arranged the large freezer, Found my 6 large pieces of vac’d salmon!
i recommend only fresh salmon for this cure and smoke. frozen will not come out the same and the texture will be way off. and farm raised salmon, not wild. king salmon, fresh would be best but that's hard to source locally.

Yes, I agree, the cell walls break down after freezing and smoking it will render a somewhat “mushy” mouthfeel.
But, actually it’s the thawing that does the cell damage.

fresh would be best but that's hard to source locally.
Especially in this state. The closed the salmon season due to a massive decline in salmon population. The problem is, the massive decline is the result of an excess of seals and sea lions that are destroying the salmon population, but true to state politics, the seals and sea lions are left unchecked and their number exceed what fish and game calls for, not by a little, but by a lot

Looking forward to seeing the results

It’s been on and off rain here and wife wanted lox for the bagels we bought yesterday. So no time to smoke but the flavor of the salmon was great. First time I haven’t smoked the lox.

Always fun to see how thin I can get my slices. The goal is to see the knife through each slice. Mission accomplished.

1704061993184.jpeg

1704062014263.jpeg

1704062032470.jpeg

And a nice tub of lox

1704062059249.jpeg

I love seeing your posts when you do this. The thin slices are what makes it. I haven't made any yet this year, but I really need to get on it.

It’s been on and off rain here and wife wanted lox for the bagels we bought yesterday. So no time to smoke but the flavor of the salmon was great. First time I haven’t smoked the lox.

Always fun to see how thin I can get my slices. The goal is to see the knife through each slice. Mission accomplished.

View attachment 84554

View attachment 84555

View attachment 84556

And a nice tub of lox

View attachment 84557
Here's a great book that demonstrates how to get those ultra thin slices.

Back