Cold here too but bacon's got to get smoked

Steve Carson

TVWBB Member
15 degree F. A great day for smoking!
HPIM3149.jpg

Cold in Colorado, in December?
Come on Steve!
icon_smile.gif

My son lives outside the Springs, and I'll wait until it's warmer to visit.

The bacon is looking good, hope we see some after pics!
Good luck!

Steve
What cut of meat did you use for that bacon?
Do you live in the Denver metro area and where would you recommend buying it? I've been wanting to do some bacon but haven't yet researched it enough. I'm just south of Denver so If you have any suggestions please pass them on.
Thanks.....Chris

Originally posted by chris comer:
Steve
What cut of meat did you use for that bacon?
Do you live in the Denver metro area and where would you recommend buying it? I've been wanting to do some bacon but haven't yet researched it enough. I'm just south of Denver so If you have any suggestions please pass them on.
Thanks.....Chris
Chris,
It's pork belly, I buy it at a Hispanic market in Longmont (Longmont Packing 1.99 lb. I know they have a location in Denver metro somewhere and there are lots of other Hispanic markets in Denver. I think there is another member on this forum that does bacon in Golden. Maybe "Dave from Denver" can chime in on where he buys his belly.

Steve, what did you use to slice your bacon? I made bacon from a belly this past summer and it was real hard to slice even with brand new knives. I left the rind on mine since I sort of like the crispiness that you get when it fry's up.

I use a heavy 12" Chefs knife, not sure of the brand but I do keep it very sharp and I cut the two slices in the photo above while hot right off the smoker, (not easy). I find it cuts easier if you stick it in the freezer for about 15 min. I take the rind off before smoking, then fry it up as a snack. You know, fat fried in fat so goooood.

Steve's right, Chris. I live in Golden and I've smoked some bacon.

I, however, am entirely too lazy to find a better deal and I've been paying @ 4.50/lb at a local "gourmet" butcher here in Golden, "Edward's Meats." It's located at 44th ave @ Ward.

Great shop, and they have lots of game meat for sale, as well as lump charcoal and a great selection of smoke woods too which I think is awesome. They're also the only store where I could find Morton Tender Quick meat cure, and they sell buckboard bacon cure as well as lots of other specialty products.

Steve Gomes is a member of this forum and he has pointed me in that same direction of Longmont Meat Packing. I haven't done any bacon for a while, however, and I haven't followed up with him or with the packing company. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Dave

When I slice bacon, I use a meat slicer. I place the bacon in the fridge overnight and slice it up the next morning. I do the same thing for brisket.

Back