Coffee Rub for Brisket

Mark_C

Hello All:

A buddy of mine recently returned from Austin, where he had the Legendary Franklin's Brisket. (please let's not get in to a discussion about whether or not it's legendary). This is a friend who shares a similar passion for smoking that I have... we've exchanged briskets, chicken, salmon, etc.

He said the Franklin's was amazing, and he attributed this to the coffee rub. I'm doing a dual brisket smoke this coming weekend, and would definitely be interested in trying out my "classic" rub on one, and a coffee rub on another. I've done some looking around, and seen a few different recipes, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience on a particularly amazing coffee rub?

I plan on smoking whole brisket, high heat method. Thanks in advance for any hot tips!

- Mark

Mark,

Aaron Franklin only uses salt and pepper on his brisket. He discusses the process for Texas Monthly. I believe your friend picked up the coffee flavor from the sauce, served on the side. His sauce has coffee and molasses in it.

For coffee rub recipes, here's one from Kevin. I've also tried this one a couple of times:

Coffee-chipotle rub
Ingredients:

1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup of finely ground dark coffee
1/4 cup ground ancho chile
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of granulated onion
Salt to taste (salt brisket before rubbing; let salt draw out moisture, then add rub).

Paul

Thanks Paul! Wow just watched that video (with my buddy... who's also my coworker... the one that went to Franklin's). He was floored, but yeah he said it was probably the espresso sauce then.

Just salt and pepper.... that's just amazing to me!

I'll probably give the coffee rub a go none the less.....

Thanks!

Back