Cochon de Lait with a Surprise Visitor

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
We couldn't decide how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby, so we decided to settle somewhere in the middle and went with Cajun. Cochon de Lait translates to "pig in milk", which is used to describe a roasted suckling pig. Erin and I were in New Orleans a few weeks ago, and one of the many meals we intend to recreate was the Cochon de Lait Po' Boy from Pierre Masperos. Their menu describes it as "Slow cooked Roasted Pork seasoned with a Cajun rub and stuffed with garlic and jalapenos".

Started with a lump that was the end of a loin I had cut for pork chops and Canadian Bacon, along with a bunch of slivers of jalapeno and garlic.
DSC_0003.jpg

Studded.
DSC_0004.jpg

Then seasoned liberally with Cajun seasoning.
DSC_0008.jpg

On the kettle indirect with just a tiny bit of pecan and cherry for smoke.
DSC_0015.jpg

And then a butterfly happened by, so I just had to take his picture when he landed on the gasser.
DSC_0019.jpg

But he disappeared for a moment, and I couldn't find him anywhere.
DSC_0045.jpg

Yes, he was on my hat. Seriously. He flew from the grill to my hat. Erin took these pics.
DSC_0050.jpg

And he was such a ham, he posed for more shots on my oven mitt.
DSC_0056.jpg

Kind of tame, huh? Hope he wasn't rabid.
DSC_0060.jpg

OK, last one.
DSC_0069.jpg

Quit screwing around with the bug, the pork's done!
DSC_0052.jpg

French bread split and "dressed" with lettuce and pickles.
DSC_0070.jpg

Sliced pork.
DSC_0077.jpg

Another key condiment.
DSC_0078.jpg

And served.
DSC_0079.jpg

I need to figure out a way to get more jalapeno flavor into the meat and try it again with a butt or shoulder, as the loin wasn't quite as succulent as Pierre's was. All in all, I'd still say it was a success.

Thanks for looking!

YUUUMMMMMMYYYYY! Watch out for those B Flys though I heard they are ferocious when it involves "Q"
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Brilliant Jon. Love the pork po'boy! And the butterfly tangent was fascinating too. I didn't recognize the little fellow so I did a bit of research. He's a Red Admiral. Check it out! http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/...ral-butterflies.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for investigating. I didn't recognize him, and know I really wonder what a Wisconsin butterfly was doing here. Lampe must've sent them out here to meddle with my grilling!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Thanks for investigating. I didn't recognize him, and know I really wonder what a Wisconsin butterfly was doing here. Lampe must've sent them out here to meddle with my grilling! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
LOL Great looking Po Boy too!

that's a pretty serious sandwich, I'm thinking I need to try something similar.

Funny, I saw one of those butterflies here in Buffalo. Interesting about the increase in numbers this year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">that's a pretty serious sandwich, I'm thinking I need to try something similar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here! Looks stunning!

The little fellow was telling you that you should have butterflied the pork
icon_razz.gif

Super looking couch on lariat, or whatever it's called Jon!
Great post!!

BTW, my eyeball is hurting after seeing yours in the first butterfly/hat shot.

GoodEETIN'Jon!
BTW, a splash of that Louisi'anna hot sauce in a grog o'beer is quite tasty! try it next time!

Back