Coal ring

Mark Kennedy

Just picked up my first WSM from Craigslist!!!! I 18.5in model about 3 years old.

The problem is the old owner lost the coal ring some how. I was thinking about making one myself out of some expanded metal, but thought I would check here first.

If I make my own can I improve it any? Maybe make it taller to hold more coals or a bit wider?

I would love some feedback. Thanks all and Happy Smoking.

Mark I would not make the coal ring any taller, if you do a long cook it will be hard to add charcoal. Make it out of expanded metal should not be problem, if you want to get fancy look up cajun bandit, they sell them made from stainless steel.

hi Mark,

Like Dave said, i strongly suggest you make it the same size as the original ... if taller, too hard to get to the coal ...

any larger, u will lack oxygen ...

Thanks all!!

I have the specs of the org one. I have access to expanded metal so I will just cut some to size, roll it up, and weld it.

Thanks again, can't wait to cook on it.

Originally posted by Louis:
dont forget the holes in the cole ring !
Expanded metal is full of holes..
icon_smile.gif
))

If you have ready access to expanded metal, you might make one the same size and one a bit smaller to use for shorter smokes http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/3011005506
It's probably not an issue for use with the smoker, but the wide open sides of the expanded metal means that it doesn't really focus and direct the heat upward quite as well as the oem ring. This shouldn't matter for the WSM as long as you're not wanting to use it to create a good searing zone for grilling.

Originally posted by George L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Louis:
dont forget the holes in the cole ring !
Expanded metal is full of holes..
icon_smile.gif
)) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol ... DOH ! ... my bad .... but hey, i always said my english s**ked :p

Whatever you make, remember that you're accommodating the water pan above. I expect Weber put some time into their design so you might want to stay close to spec. You sound pretty handy but I'd just order it from Weber.

JDH

Back