Coal question

Marc Eagles

I was asking some friends what kind of coals do they use because i've been getting more ash that i care for from my usual Kingsford blue bag. Two people said they only use wood chips and no coals. I have never heard of this. What do you guys use.

Lump, usually Royal Oak. Makes a nice fire, doesn't smell in the chimney, imparts a clean slightly smokey flavor. Never went the wood only route

...i've been getting more ash that i care for from my usual Kingsford blue bag.

I still have quite a stockpile of Kingsford blue that I'm working through. But once that's out I plan on switching pretty exclusively to Stubb's all natural briquettes. I've been using them in my smoker for really long overnight cooks because I get so much ash from kingsford blue that it ends up
suffocating the fire.

Personally I haven't tried lump, but I know I like the uniform nature of briquettes. I just wanted to reduce my ash production and Stubb's burns both cleaner and more completely than kingsford blue. I've heard that the kingsford competition brand is better about the amount of ash, but I haven't tried it myself.

i wanna try Stubb's but its hard to find out here. May try the Royal Oak. I saw something called Embers made by Royal Oak, it was like 6.00 for a 15 lb bag.

I used lump for years. For some reason, I tried KBB and was so happy, I never looked back. I can burn a full bag of "KBB" and still not have an issue with the ash.

Kbb. Depending on what I'm cooking I add wood chunks for some smokey flavor. I agree the ash is a problem, but I've never noticed a difference in flavor or performance between lump and kbb even though I agree it appears to burn cleaner.

Last edited:
I'll use Royal Oak Briquettes and lump - I've used Stubbs and like that as well. I try and stay away from KBB - some folks say they can tell when meat has been cooked using KBB - I can't though. KBB does produce more ash that the others. If your doing a short cook probably wouldn't have an effect - but, doing a long cook and having to reload, the ash will eventually catch up to you. Of course this is my opinion and others will disagree - do what's good for you!!

I was using this brand called "Full Circle" which was a lump charcoal. I can't find it anymore. Royal Oak lump is probably ok. I've had a bad experience with Cowboy brand that had pieces of plastic in it. I mostly use KBB. I have no trouble running it through my Webers. I've tried Stubb's once and liked it ok. It definitely had less ash than the KBB. If money is not an issue, that's not a bad way to go. Kingsford Competition is probably a good option as well.

i wanna try Stubb's but its hard to find out here. May try the Royal Oak. I saw something called Embers made by Royal Oak, it was like 6.00 for a 15 lb bag.

Embers ain't bad. HD carries it around here and I tried it a few times.
And back to your OP. I've used wood chunks for fuel, doing a wood only cook, but have never used only chips.
Chips for fuel would be a really short burn time.

Tim

I continue to have excellent results with Kingsford Original. I buy in quantity when the sales are on and "don't look back":cool:

My few experiences with lump have not been good. The lump does a good job, but I don't like the irregular pieces and ESPECIALLY do not like all of the trash I have found in mine (including large rocks:().

Me, I'll stick with Kingsford. I have had good luck with Stubbs briqs, also but much prefer the price of Kingsford on sale. What can I say?:o

Dale53

Royal Oak still works fine for me, briquettes and lump. Can not imagine using all wood chips to cook over.
Wood chunks are fine, but chips?

I use whats on sale really, I do have some Royal Oak Lump and regular, but mostly Kings ford, I look at it this way no matter which fuel you use there will be ash .

Back