Coal grate for classic 26" kettle

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
The coal grate for the classic 26" "flat top" kettle measures 19-1/2" and so far I haven't been able to find a replacement for mine. Does anyone have a source? I believe the grate for the current 26" kettle has a different diameter and won't work. Thanks!

The coal grate for the classic 26" "flat top" kettle measures 19-1/2" and so far I haven't been able to find a replacement for mine. Does anyone have a source? I believe the grate for the current 26" kettle has a different diameter and won't work. Thanks!
The current version charcoal grate is 21.5"

Have you checked KillaGrilla? I know they make those main grates for the flat top

Is there any extra spacing on the outside edge that might allow you to go a little bigger on the lower grate? The lower grate for a WSM appears to be 20.63 inches wide based on KillaGrilla's website. It might be just small enough to fit onto the grate straps. If not, then you might contact him about a custom size.

It looks like I might have to resort to the custom grate option. The standard 19-1/2" grate doesn't have any wiggle room at all for a larger grate, and Killa Grilla doesn't list a replacement grate on the website. I even tried an 18-1/2" kettle cook grate to see if it would fit, but it's too small.

However, I've also overlooked the obvious: ask Weber. I'm not confident that they'll be able to help or if they'll even give me a response, but it's worth a shot.

If I do wind up contacting KG I'm also going to ask about the possibility of a modern 26" grate (25-1/2" diameter) being fitted with extensions so that it can be used in a classic 26" kettle. I've always felt that the distance between the factory grates is a little too small.

EDIT: Emails sent to Weber and Killa Grilla. And so we wait...

Last edited:
Thanks, Jon. I'd have to order 2 because I always use double coal grates with a 90-degree offset, but at less than $100 I suspect it may be the cheapest solution I'll find. My younger daughter's boyfriend is a professional welder, though, so it probably wouldn't hurt to bounce some ideas off his head as well.

So Weber made a flat top 26" with the One-Touch system? I didn't know that...mine's an undated 3-wheeler with the metal handles.

My flat top is from the last year of production. It came with a flat dust pan, but I improvised by replacing that with a twist-off full pan from a 22” grill.

Last edited:
The new grate arrived a few weeks ago while I was on vacation. I'm having trouble telling it apart from the old grate.;)

IMG950025.jpg IMG950026.jpg

It's a really solid piece and I've no doubt it's going to work just fine, but I was a little surprised to see only 1 support bar instead of 2.

Back