cleaning WSM

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello. A question about the cooking grids - do you clean them back to a shiny silver colour? Mine has been used three times now and the grids are a shiny brown! They clean up OK with washing up liquid and a good scrub, but only to this shiny brown. I could use Brillo or something and make them silver again but I'm afraid of cutting through the nickel or whatever it is. What is the general opinion on cleaning?

Also, yesterday when I went to light it - having left the remains of the previous charcoal / ash in the bottom of the bowl, I found the rain had got in and made a thick sludge of the ash. Does the cover not keep water out?!

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

As salts, acids, and heat interact with the nickel finish, it will discolor with use. I'm not aware of any way to return shiny brown spots to the original silver color.

Regarding water infiltrating the cover, please see the FAQ on this subject.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew_l:
Hello. A question about the cooking grids - do you clean them back to a shiny silver colour? Mine has been used three times now and the grids are a shiny brown! They clean up OK with washing up liquid and a good scrub, but only to this shiny brown. I could use Brillo or something and make them silver again but I'm afraid of cutting through the nickel or whatever it is. What is the general opinion on cleaning? <span class="ev_code_BLUE">Mine never clean up to a shine again. I just try to scrub off the fat/meat left on it. Good enough.</span>

Also, yesterday when I went to light it - having left the remains of the previous charcoal / ash in the bottom of the bowl, I found the rain had got in and made a thick sludge of the ash. Does the cover not keep water out?! <span class="ev_code_BLUE">I have the WSM cover, and don't use it. I "bungie" cord a large trash bag around it if I'm going to leave it sit out. The Weber cover will let water through. If you like the Weber cover, use the trash bag, then put the cover over it.</span>

Thanks,

Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, yesterday when I went to light it - having left the remains of the previous charcoal / ash in the bottom of the bowl, I found the rain had got in and made a thick sludge of the ash. Does the cover not keep water out?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen all the posts here about the cover not keeping water out and I guess I have been lucky. I use the cover and have let the WSM sit out in heavy (3 inches in one day) rain and have never gotten a drop inside. My cover came with the WSM and I got it in November so perhaps the later model have an improved cover?

If I do ever get water, I will try the trash bag underneath.

Ray

I know an old coot named Noah that took the cooker with him and his family on an extended cruise and he spoke of storing the cooker on deck with the body upside down to keep the rainwater out.

My WSM is only a month or two old. The cover is good - no leaks so far. Why would Weber build the unit so it collects water anyway?

Loren

Because, if it were the other way around, that which runs down the inside of the cooker would seep out.

Back