Cleaning WMS?

SSchwartz

Hi Folks,

I have been lurking for a while, and now decided to post this question. I have been using a 22.5" WSM for about 2 years now. Simply wonderful!!!!

My question is this - the smoker is pretty encrusted on the inside from all the smoke, ash, fat, etc. I think that is seasoning, but I'm not sure if I should do something to clean it or not. I really don't want my pulled pork to taste like oven cleaner ...

Thanks and happy smoking,

Steve

Yes it is seasoning. Don't worry about it. If it bothers you, scrub it lightly with a grate brush while warm. Nothing else. ABSOLUTELY NO CLEANERS OR CHEMICALS INSIDE YOUR SMOKER!!!!!

You don't have to clean it, but it wont hurt it if you do. I have had a few occasions where I have found mold in mine because I forget to clean the grates and change the aluminum foil on the clay saucer after a cook. I just spray it all down with oven cleaner then cover it with a plastic garbage bag for a little while. Remove the bag, clean it up real good with a rough sponge and it will shine like new.

Of course then you have to cook on it to re-season it, but I have never had a taste of oven cleaner on my food. I only do this process when it gets really gunky or mold in it.

Btw, welcome to the forum SSchwartz

You don't have to clean it, but it wont hurt it if you do. I have had a few occasions where I have found mold in mine because I forget to clean the grates and change the aluminum foil on the clay saucer after a cook. I just spray it all down with oven cleaner then cover it with a plastic garbage bag for a little while. Remove the bag, clean it up real good with a rough sponge and it will shine like new.

Of course then you have to cook on it to re-season it, but I have never had a taste of oven cleaner on my food. I only do this process when it gets really gunky or mold in it.

Btw, welcome to the forum SSchwartz

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to leave well enough alone. How it looks is not a big deal. I live in southern arizona, so mold is not a problem.

Steve Schwartz

Tony's talking about the flakes that get on the inside of the lid from smoke getting in the condensation. Sometimes it gets flaky and you want to wipe it off so it doesn't flake off in your food.

Back