Cleaning under the water pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W.

TVWBB Member
Hi!

I was wondering if there's any advantage/disadvantage to making the bottom of the water pan spotless. I do not use foil on it because it's a headache for me to clean. (Didn't try the HD stuff, just the regular stuff was too small and leaked).

I do clean the bowl well, but as you know, the bottom of it develops this stuff on it. i don't know if it's smoke or grease or what, but it's a pain to clean. Does it cause any harm leaving it on the pan, or should I scrub it clean?

Thanks!

I doubt that there is any real advantage or need to get it spotless. However, I'd recommend that you get the HD foil. I go to Sam's club and get the extra wide HD foil and it works great!

If you use foil, wide HD is the only way to go. I foil inside and out and only change the outside every so often. The soot build-up that foiling the outside prevents is merely cosmetic, and if left on long enough, the foil will adhere to the bottom of the pan. It's a personal choice, it doesn't touch the food, so it really doesn't matter.

I don't bother to clean the bottom of the water pan. I don't really clean the inside that well either, just enough to get the grease out so no off flavors get in the meat, it's not like any food is going in there.

I agree with Brian, I used to scrub it clean until I felt like what's the use and it has not affected my smoker at all.

I don't foil at all amymore...it is more of a pain when the foil "sticks" to the surface. I give it a good cleaning with "Dawn Power Disolve"....I tell ya, this stuff is good.

As far as the bottom, I wipe it clean and let it go.

Heck these pans are $4.99 each!

I don't use foil on the outside or inside of a waterpan when I'm using water. I don't clean the outside of the pan except for brushing off once in a "blue mooon", but I do wash the inside with a degreasing type detergent.

Paul

Interesting info. I was sort of worried that maybe the junk on the bottom of the water pan may affect the heat by absorbing it.

Glad to know it's not that big of an issue because I hate clean-ups. I use to deep fry turkeys but the clean up in that is a PITA. God, I hated cleaning that mess... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back