Cleaning The WSM

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I am looking at all of the pics of the WSM's. Everyone's is so pretty, almost as they have been waxed and buffed. Mine has some character to it. I finally had to clean the upper vent rivet after the vent would hardly move.

So how what does everyone use to maintain their "G.Q. WSM LOOK".

And I refuse to spray cologne on it after it is washed and clean. (Just in case anyone was gonna suggest "Old Spice")

Matt
There is a reason you don't see pictures of mine.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

Matt, I just cleaned mine (the inside) on Sunday. It was at the point where the top lid had the flakey stuff falling off of it. I disassembled, washed with soap and water and a brillo pad, rinsed, let air dry and reassmbled. All in all it took about 1/2 hour.

Dont do this

Dont do what I did for sure. I would not consider cleaning mine ever again. Every once in a while I put the grates in my self cleaning oven but that is it. I have found that grease is a good thing for your cooker, makes it airtight. Wear your grime with pride, you have earned it.

Well I always clean the inside, after all "that's where all of the majic takes place".

Remember Don't judge a book by its cover.

Having the Corvette in the garage is not the same as the Mustang in the driveway!!

I concur with Jim--never take a picture of the WSM to show the health department. They'd run me out of town.

I use a brush or a big of aluminum foil to clean out the dome. That flakey stuff ends up falling on your food--which probably does not matter on a brisket or butt, but it shows up pretty clearly on chicken or ribs.

Clean the WSM? Hmmm, maybe I should do that sometime.

Seriously, the only cleaning mine gets is to put the grates above the chimney when lighting coals and on top of the ring of mostly spent coals when I'm done. Other than that, I don't bother. I will be checking the dome, though, to see if there are black flakes ready to pollute my 'Q

Grates: a coarse 3M Scotchbrite pad and dish detergent will remove anything that needs to come off. An occasional trip through the dishwasher, if you can fit them in, is good, too.

Inside the WSM: a soft, brass wire brush removes the flaky stuff. Anything the brush won't remove won't do any harm, IMO.

Outside: spray another coat of gloss black paint over anything that doesn't wash off when it rains. Seriously, very little gets on the outside, and I usually just wash those little streaks/spots off with dish detergent and whatever level of elbow grease it takes.

I screwed up the last time I used my WSM. I didnt clean the grates and didnt do so for 2 weeks. No excuse other than a lazy brain fart.
Made me fall behind on my smoke schedule.

Jim M thanks for the laugh this morning.

I agree with Larry D. (hey that rhymes) as to his method of cleaning the inside of the cooker.

If you want the outside nice and shiney then next time you have a cook going take an old towel wet it, and just wipe the outside. It kind of steam cleans it and when its warm all the gooey stuff comes right off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Babek:
If you want the outside nice and shiney then next time you have a cook going take an old towel wet it, and just wipe the outside. It kind of steam cleans it and when its warm all the gooey stuff comes right off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Now that's one I'm gonna have to try ~ Thanks Jim
icon_cool.gif

I need to figure out how to clean the vents...some operate smoothly and others are quite stiff...
I do use some BBQ grill cleaner...aerosol can...with brillo pad on the grilles.

What do u guys do with the water/grease after a cook? Where do u pour it??

I put a paper grocery bag inside a plastic one-- the big blue ones from Wal-Mart work well. I dump the cold ashes into it and then follow with the water pan contents, which the ashes soak up quite nicely. Then it can go right into the trash. I inspect the plastic bag for holes before use, and don't temp fate by walking through the house with it.

It took me a while to consider switching to sand in the pan ... cleanup is dead easy now, just some foil to throw away. I think I use less charcoal too.

Dump ashes out, remove foil from water pan & rub down the cooking grate a little. Never done any more "cleaning" than that.

I do what Doug D does with water and ashes - dump both into the same plastic trash bag and let them make a sludge, and then to the trash bin they go. I do occasionally use sand in the waterpan, but I've reverted back to water for most cooks these days because I don't like to fight the heat coming up off the sand/foil - I don't particularly like what it does to the bottom of the meat on my bottom rack. It's okay if you're only cooking on the top rack, but I always fill that puppy up, personally.

My main cleaning method on the racks - I bought a large plastic drain "dish" about 19" in diameter that would normally fit underneath a large potted plant to catch the excess water, and the racks then lay in it very nicely. I place the racks in the "drain dish", spray them down with Dawn De-greaser on both sides, and just let them sit for a while, till I get around to coming back to them. I'll come back a while later, add some Dawn dishwashing soap, and add very hot water to cover the racks and let'em soak for however long I happen to leave them - at least 45 minutes or longer. It takes very little with a plastic brush or pot scrubber then to hit the surfaces of the grates and rinse them clean. A quick spray from your WELL-LABLED bleach water squirt bottle (ratio of 1.5 teaspoons bleach to 2 quarts water) sanitizes the grates and kills most wee beasties that survived the soap and water. This is the best method I've found for easily and thoroughly cleaning the grates.

As an aside, there is a difference in sanitizing and disinfecting a surface. I quote here from Cleaning and Maintenance Magazine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There are differences between sanitizing and disinfecting a surface. Sanitizing is the lowest level of germ control, killing about half to three-quarters of the germs on a surface. The process involves using a mild sanitizer chemical during cleaning. The cleaning process itself removes the soil, which is also a germ’s food source.

Disinfection is a more effective level of germ control. Disinfectants kill at least 99,999 out of 100,000 microorganisms under controlled conditions.

The number of germs killed in an actual cleaning/disinfecting process will vary, depending on the disinfectant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After removing other residue on the surface, a solution of 1 Tbs bleach to 1 gallon water, left wet on the surface for two minutes and then allowed to air-dry without rinsing, will sanitize a non-porous surface. (I do this on the grates only, BTW). A solution of 3 Tbs bleach to 1 gallon water, left on the surface for two minutes then rinsed and air-dried, will sanitize a porous surface (ie a wood cutting board) and a solution of 3/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water, left wet on the surface for 2 minutes then rinsed and air-dried, will DISINFECT either a porous or non-porous surface (for those times when you left the grates on the smoker for several weeks and there are now things growing on them that you didn't cook).

Depends on how nasty the smoker is...
icon_wink.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
(who continues to have a problem making a short post...)

I'm in the grease is good camp. I treat my WSM just like I treat my cast-iron pans. I'll gently clean up the cooking surfaces(grates) but I leave the rest alone. If it's shiny...I must not be using it!
icon_smile.gif

Take care.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Foster:
I'm in the grease is good camp. I treat my WSM just like I treat my cast-iron pans. I'll gently clean up the cooking surfaces(grates) but I leave the rest alone. If it's shiny...I must not be using it!
icon_smile.gif

Take care. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen Brother!

Back