Cleaning Smoker racks

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I was wondering - could you put a WSM rack in the dishwasher? Would it clean them effectively, and do you think it could damage the dishwasher?

I have 6 to clean, if that matters. I wouldn't run anything else in the dishwasher because I'm afraid other things could pick up some grease.

Pat,I wouldn't. I would be afraid that the stronger detergent and all the water would cause them to rust faster. I use the gasser to burn off the big stuff,then good old elbow grease,cleaner and a stiff brush. But that's just me.

Pat, I spread out a 45-gallon trash can bag out (without cutting it open), preferably in the sun, and stack my grates on it while spraying with Dawn Power Dissolver or Greased Lightning. Then I fold up the sides to completely seal the package and let it stand in the sun for several hours or overnight. Then I use what used to be called a fish scaler nozzle on my hose that sends a very strong, thin, stream and hose off most, if not all, of the gunk. And lastly, I put the grates in the dishwasher on the pot scrubber mode. Sometimes I scrub lightly with a brass grill brush to get any big stuff off at this point.

This gets the grates clean, 90 or more %, depending on the cook. Brillo and elbow grease usually gets the last of it, but I rarely have to do it, especially for low-heat cooks.

I don't think there is any way to keep WSM grates shiny and new-looking for very long. I bought my WSM in 1987 and I'm still using the original grates.

I use the dishwasher to clean my grates - been doing it for years without any problems.

A couple times a season I grab the grates out of the kettle, the Smokey Joe and the WSM and throw 'em in all together using the "pot scrubber" cycle.

It gets virtually everything off but some smoke stain spots, which is good enough for me. If you want 'em SPOTLESS, your gonna have to use a brillo pad and some elbow grease for the finishing touches.
icon_smile.gif

Pat. After using your DW to clean your grates, just run some Glisten or Dishwasher Magic to clean the inside out.
Or you can spray them with whatever, wrap in newspaper or put in a tub and take them to your local Spray\Wash.
Tim

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll give the dishwasher a shot. Normally, I use the gasser. But after comps when I have 6 racks to clean, I look for easier alternatives.

Throw em on the sidewalk and use a stiff bristled deck brush (the kind with the 4 foot mop handle). It's much easier on the back than the hand held grill brushes.

Put them in the oven, set the over the clean, walk away.

AFter X hours your oven AND your grates will be clean!

The wife might even thank you for cleaning the oven while you were at it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by derek_d:
Throw em on the sidewalk and use a stiff bristled deck brush (the kind with the 4 foot mop handle). It's much easier on the back than the hand held grill brushes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the method I use. I use whatever type of cleaner I have on hand..bleach, degreaser, whatever. Another method I learned was putting the grates in a sealed garbage bag(needs to be a good thick bag) and dumping in one cup of ammonia. Let it sit over night and the goo just melts right off. Scrub with water/degreaser and you are good to go.

ron

I use to fall into the "let them soak in the wash tub and scrub off crowd" until this last cook when after I was done I needed to char-grill up some tomatillios and fresh veggies for Salsa Verde. I removed the 2 grates and then set the mid section aside from the coals. I then set my grates on top of the charcoal ring and began to char-grill them. A wonderful discovery was that this allowed me to just use a basic BBQ brush and clean my grates!! Couldn't be easier!!

I buy a new top grate every year. Not expensive and they look good. I also use the dishwasher to clean my grate. I have never used my lower grate in two years so it stil looks new.
icon_smile.gif

I have one of those propane weed burners that I use to light my charcoal. I use it to burn off all the gunk on the grates. Works well.

Your fine using the dishwasher. The only way they will rust is if you remove the plating on them. You have a far better chance of doing that by burning the crud off over high heat than in a dishwasher.
icon_wink.gif
I know from experience, that's why I no longer burn off over a hot fire. I soak em in hot water and Dawn in my laundry sink for a few hrs or over night. Then scrub off the gunk with a stiff brush. Been using the same grates now for 5 years. HTH
There was a post here long ago about a guy washed his WSM in the dishwasher while his wife was away. Couldn't fit it all in at one time so he did it in 3 washes. I'll see if I can find the post. Funny stuff.
Link one. and link two.

I tried the dishwasher approach. I could not get the top rack out of the dishwasher without some lengthy disassembly (and reassembly). So, I couldn't get them to stand up on the ends like I wanted. In desperation, I stacked them flat (6 of them) on top of each other. Ran it...did not work very well. I can only assume it was the arrangement.

There has to be an easier way to get the top rack out, but I was short on time and couldn't figure it out.

So, its back to soaking and scrubbing.

I have heard about the "ammonia in the garbage bag" method, but haven't tried it on the smoker grates. But I did try it on the burner rings from my kitchen range. They had so much burned-on gunk that I was planning to throw them away, but overnight in a bag with some ammonia brought them back to almost new looking. The method works, and I'm planning to do the grates with it soon.

icon_smile.gif

One more thing that works if you're in a bind...

Heat the racks up a bit (or soak them in hot water) and wad up a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Scrape away with the foil, they do come out looking nice! It does take a bit bit of elbow grease though!

I've been using the "ammonia in the garbage bag" method as mentioned above by Ron and Larry. A trick we learned from a military housing inspector several years ago for cleaning oven grates. Works well with oven racks as well as WSM grates.

Bob W.

I clean/store my WSM grates by tossing them on my OTS after I use it to grill. I use that heat to kill anything on the grates. Works like a champ & keeps things "BBQ clean."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scooter B:
I use to fall into the "let them soak in the wash tub and scrub off crowd" until this last cook when after I was done I needed to char-grill up some tomatillios and fresh veggies for Salsa Verde. I removed the 2 grates and then set the mid section aside from the coals. I then set my grates on top of the charcoal ring and began to char-grill them. A wonderful discovery was that this allowed me to just use a basic BBQ brush and clean my grates!! Couldn't be easier!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I just remove the middle put the grates on and the top and open up all the vents.
Works like a charm.

Back