cleaning grates on wsm

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
super quick question-
The way i always clean the grates in my grill is to heat it to 450 then brush. Since i'm not planning on cooking anywhere near that temp, whats a good way to clean the grates on the wsm?

Heat 'em to 450* and brush 'em! Seriously, when you're done with the cook remove the water pan and open all of the vents. Let the WSM heat up and brush all of the grates clean. It'll even cook all of the "gunk" inside the WSM. Just remember to take a ball of foil and quickly scrape down the inside of the smoker and lid before your next cook.

I'm a soaker. I use lump so I shut the WSM down so I can reuse what lump is left on the next cook. I have a big tub sink in the laundry room. The grates fit in there nice. I fill with about an inch of hot water and a squirt of Dawn. Let soak for an hr or overnight. Then go over them with a scrub brush.

I got a trick thats worked great for me. Take the grates when they have cooled down place in a heavy duty garbage bag, you may want to double bag just in case. Take the bag outside and add 1-2 Cups of Ammonia, tie bag top securely so its pretty close to air tight, leave grates in bag over night. The next day take grates out of bag and give it a quick rinse with a garden hose and some soap and water. The grates come out clean and the soaking takes out all the effort of it.

Something else that works well...but could take 1-2 days, depending on how "gunked up" they are. Place about 2-3 sheets of newspaper down - wet the paper, place one grate on top, add 1-2 more sheets of newspaper - wet, place the other grate down, then 1-2 more sheets - then wet. After a day (or 2...see above about gunk) the grates can be lightly brushed and the remaining "gunk" falls off. Get the newspaper good and saturated. Courtesy of my father-in-law.

I got a water heater pan and plugged up the hole. I spray painted the inside black. When I want to clean the grates I take the pan out side and fill with warm / hot soapy water. Put the grates in it and leave for several hours.

The sun will keep the water hot for hours and maybe even make the water hotter. When I'm ready I'll use a scrub brush to wash the grates. Then I'll rinse them off with the hose and let them sun and air dry.

I just put them in my gasser, cover everything with foil and leave it on high for 20-30 minutes. It smells great and there's nothing but white ash when it quits smoking.

I use a variation on the garbage bag method. After everything is cooled down I put the grills in a kitchen garbage bag, then while they are in the bag I spray both sides with "Greased Lightning." Wait about 10 to 15 minutes, then wipe them down with a sponge and warm water in the laundry sink. Clean as a whistle, every time.

I have used my WSM about 4 times and have yet to wash the grills. To me its added flavor.
icon_biggrin.gif

I just knock off any big chunks and run 'em thru the dishwasher. Even the water pan. Why look for extra work?

People actually clean their grates?
See?! That was what I was thinking and then I heard others do so I started thinking there was something wrong with me or that I was just disgusting. I actually think its good to leave the smoker as is so it earns its own seasoning/flavor. Otherwise, its just another smoker.

Soak in the basement laundry tub method for me. Spray both sides with Dawn Power Dissolver

Dawn PD

Let sit for 15 min to an hour (if I forget
icon_wink.gif
)

Lay them into the laundry tub and add hot water and dishwashing detergeant (Dawn Concentrate). Let sit till the next day or earlier (if I remember
icon_wink.gif
)

Clean with any mild abrasive rag, pad or brillo. Works great, clean up very quickly.

Lately I have changed to adding Mr. Clean to the water instead of the DWD. Seams to act like a solvent and makes clean up even faster. But you might not like the smell.

I put them on my gasser for 10min on high. Basically making it a self cleaning oven. Lightly brush away ash after.

Back