Cleaning cast iron griddles

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0087UYR1S/thevirtualweberb

Here's what Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen) said about this product;

"Since soapy water can strip the seasoning off of cast-iron cookware, our standard cleaning method is to heat a little oil in the pan, add salt, and use this coarse paste to rub away cooked-on food. The CM Scrubber by KnappMade ($19.98) promises to make scrubbing cast-iron cookware (and all other cookware surfaces except nonstick) easier. We passed this 4-inch square of stainless steel chain mail over a cast-iron pan encrusted with charred bits of sausage and another that we’d used for frying bacon. The linked steel rings effortlessly lifted away any stuck-on bits without damaging the pan’s finish. The scrubber itself took some scrubbing to become completely grit- and oil-free for the next use, but it dried quickly and didn’t rust. We’re even fonder of our cast-iron skillet now that we have a faster, tidier cleanup tool."

Without the CI chain mail, I recommend heating a little oil in the pan, add salt, and use this coarse paste to rub away cooked-on food. I do this with my hands or a wadded up paper towel.

Back