Cleaning and restoring kettles

With the lid damper/ air vent

Has anyone here drilled out the rivet and replaced in?
In order to clean under it properly and replace the rusty bits.

Can't decide if I want to go to the effort or not. But I know I want to clean under it.. 😔

Keep finding youtube videos where they are drilling out the rivet and just replacing it with a screw but it takes away from the original look
And I wouldn't want to have to be tightening a screw all the time.

Attachments

• 20221109_155939.jpg
    20221109_155939.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221118_141308_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118_141308_Photos.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 4
With the lid damper/ air vent

Has anyone here drilled out the rivet and replaced in?
In order to clean under it properly and replace the rusty bits.

Can't decide if I want to go to the effort or not. But I know I want to clean under it.. 😔

Keep finding youtube videos where they are drilling out the rivet and just replacing it with a screw but it takes away from the original look
And I wouldn't want to have to be tightening a screw all the time.
You can clean a lot under the vent - and get it to turn more smoothly - by using dental floss. Just work it back and forth under the vent, and continue spraying degreaser, etc. Tedious, but effective.
Or go with your Plan B :) But - I also like to leave that original rivet, if at all possible.

The work you have done so far looks great!
Whatever else you decide to do will turn out just fine. 👍😀

You can clean a lot under the vent - and get it to turn more smoothly - by using dental floss. Just work it back and forth under the vent, and continue spraying degreaser, etc. Tedious, but effective.
Or go with your Plan B :) But - I also like to leave that original rivet, if at all possible.

The work you have done so far looks great!
Whatever else you decide to do will turn out just fine. 👍😀
Thanks for answering :)

I feel like would be a lot easier to polish up the vent itself also
And then peace of mind knowing it's somewhat clean underneath.

I'm just on the fence about whether or not I can successfully re attach it with the same size rivets.
Going to see what's available at the hardware store.

Anika, you can leave it installed use #0000 Steel Wool on it and it will bring it back to life, but you have to be patient for it is slow process. Just make sure you wash it thoroughly when you are done.

View attachment 62892
View attachment 62893
Yepp
That looks brilliant.
I've decided against trying to remove it thanks to advice here and on Facebook.
Too hard to get it back on without damaging the enamel.
Thanks for sharing your pic :)

You're Welcome. It was a tip that was given to me by one our members. I apologize I do remember his name.

That one came up beautifully!!
My black K code is dreadfully faded on the lid so unfortunately it's never going to look that nice regardless. Going to do my best.. new cleaning kit, wheels.. then I'll polish up the legs and grills and move it on .

I'm going to attempt at making my own wooden handles for all my kettles first though 👌
Going to see about joining my local hackers/ makers space as they have a woodworking section with everything I'd need 😋 open nights on Tuesday, very excited!

Making the handles is fun, I made a couple of sets once, but, since I built the “Overperformer“ with the cypress table, I had Mark at RiverCity make me a couple of sets to match. No, they are NOT out there under the 8” of snow we got last night!

Back