Cleaning 1998 Burner Tubes

Here’s my angle grinder injury from yesterday morning. 2nd degree burn from trying to cut-off wheel my dog’s plastic bone chew toy. It shot back a glob of molten plastic onto my hand.

Yes, the gloves were right next to me.
Yes I should have used a hacksaw.

After 30 seconds:

IMG_6401.jpeg

After 12 hours:

IMG_6417.jpeg

After 36 hours:
IMG_6472.jpeg

This is where that tube will fail, along where it is pinched/welded at the end or around the first inch of the tube itself. The rest of it does look good though.

Screenshot_20240717-205514~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the little flame spewing from that crack

View attachment 96223
Yeah, but you gotta be real careful about that. If that hole should open up a bit more, you have what amounts to a blowtorch flame directed at the side of your cookbox. Too much of that will melt a hole in the aluminum. Better to replace the burner now than scrap a cookbox.

Looking at your picture, you might be there already. Good luck!

Yeah, but you gotta be real careful about that. If that hole should open up a bit more, you have what amounts to a blowtorch flame directed at the side of your cookbox. Too much of that will melt a hole in the aluminum. Better to replace the burner now than scrap a cookbox.

I've seen a couple cook boxes that were degraded in that area, no doubt from a bad burner tube. It is time to replace those, but who are we to judge?

Sounds like a very good reason to keep an eye on your burners and replace them when needed. I hadn't thought about the potential damage to the Cook box. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:
If you happen to have an IR gun (or a thermal imager!), walk around your grill sometime when it's been running for a while. The end with the crossover tube runs hotter because of the lit crossover tube...makes sense, right? You really don't want any more heat on that end from a blown out burner tube.

I've seen a couple cook boxes that were degraded in that area, no doubt from a bad burner tube. It is time to replace those, but who are we to judge
Sounds like a very good reason to keep an eye on your burners and replace them when needed. I hadn't thought about the potential damage to the Cook box. Thank you for pointing that out.
I've seen a lot of cook box damage on these old grills unfortunately. It's almost always a result of neglect on the part of the original owner. As good as these grills were made, they can't withstand the abuse of clueless owners forever.

Back