Clean up on old WSM

Jen H

I have been cleaning up a pre-2000 WSM and I have a question. The top had some surface gunk/rust that came off easily with steel wool. The body has what looks like peeling porcelain or oxidation on the outside where there are spots of black and blotches of grayish color. I am tempted to not worry too much about it but I wondered if anyone had seen anything similar and had suggestions on cleaning it up.

That sounds more like mold to me. If so, you kinda have two options.

1. Load the bucket up with KBB and do a long, high heat burn off and brush it afterwards.

or

2. Give it a good scrubbing with water and cleaner.

Not a scientist, but I think option one would kill anything that may have grown on it. Option 2 would definitly get rid of it, but would mean you would have to re-season the pit again.

I have been cleaning up a pre-2000 WSM and I have a question. The body has what looks like peeling porcelain or oxidation on the outside where there are spots of black and blotches of grayish color.

Just making sure we're talking about the outside of the WSM, right? It's very common for older black kettles to turn gray, but just spots? That ain't common. Peeling porcelain - not on the WSM or black kettles in general, but older colored kettles (red, green, yellow) are prone to porcelain popping at the grate support straps.

And chance you have some photos of this baby?

Here is a picture of the mottled finish. Below are before and after pictures on the rehab.

If you want to get it back to all black, spray it with PAM cooking spray and wipe down with a paper towel. The deep color doesn't last long once you fire it up, but then again --- I don't know anyone who used that trick on a WSM (lower temps than a kettle)

Please, give it a shot (no pun intended) and let us (me) know how it worked out.
Max at the WKC used it on his kettle and here's his before & after photos.

9RCImvjl.jpg
jWMUoJOl.jpg

DaJIZSwl.jpg
IMuOwyel.jpg

If you want to get it back to all black, spray it with PAM cooking spray and wipe down with a paper towel. The deep color doesn't last long once you fire it up, but then again --- I don't know anyone who used that trick on a WSM (lower temps than a kettle)

Please, give it a shot (no pun intended) and let us (me) know how it worked out.
Max at the WKC used it on his kettle and here's his before & after photos.

9RCImvjl.jpg
jWMUoJOl.jpg

DaJIZSwl.jpg
IMuOwyel.jpg

Thanks Chad!

Back