Clay Saucer Question

John Suh

TVWBB Member
Hi,

someone just told me when you use a clay saucer, you will loose the moisture present using water during cooks.

Have anyone notice the difference in moisture of the meats when using clay saucer?

I have noticed no difference. However, when it comes to cleaning up, viva la difference!

I use a little larger clay saucer than most. It's 16-inches across. I cover it with a 15-inch pizza pan. I've cooked pork butts, baby back ribs, turkeys, chicken, brisket, beef bottom rounds many times with no difference that I can detect. I foil the brisket and ribs as recommended with or without a water pan. I will never go back to the water pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">someone just told me when you use a clay saucer, you will loose the moisture present using water during cooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The overwhelming majority who have tried this method report no discernible difference in moisture between water and dry cooks. However, there have been a couple who claim their clay saucer cooks came out dry compared to their water cooks. Best advice I can give you is pickup a clay saucer and give it a shot . . . I have a feeling you'll be happy with the results
icon_wink.gif

Be sure to update us.

I pretty much always use a clay saucer now.
I have notice no difference in moisture. My charcoal use however is down.

I just bought a 14 and it fits great. Will trying my first cook with it probably this weekend. I ended up getting the saucer because I just got a DigiQ II and the BBQ Guru website doesn't recommend using water in the pan that it will confuse the guru.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Suh:
Hi,

someone just told me when you use a clay saucer, you will loose the moisture present using water during cooks.

Have anyone notice the difference in moisture of the meats when using clay saucer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The water in the water pan is in there for one thing and one thing only, as a heat sink. The water provides zero moisture for the meat being cooked.
icon_wink.gif
Been water free for 5 years and counting.
icon_biggrin.gif

I agree, water in the pan will not = more moisture in your food.

I've used the clay saucer and I like it, but I did find that food on the middle grate, just inches or less above the saucer, cooks faster now and I have to be more watchful of the temps at that grate.

With water, you could always count on 10-15 degrees lower temps on the middle grate, now they are equal or even higher than my top grate.

I over-cooked a brisket on the bottom grate the first time I used the clay saucer. The 2 butts up top were fine and went as expected, but the brisket finished at probably the 8 hour mark, and expecting it to go at least 11-12 hours, I didn't get it pulled off until the 9-10 hour mark and it was overcooked. The flat was spongy and falling apart. Yuck.

Next time I will put my maverick smoker probe on the bottom grate. I've used the saucer again, but I've not used it while also using the middle grate again. So I have some more learning and experimenting to do.

Todd

This is the first time I've read of using a clay saucer instead of a water pan... very exciting!! Can anyone provide a link to a place to either purchase or look at a picture like the one most people use? I'd love to give it a try in my next smoke!!

I don't use clay saucer but have been using piedmont pan without water for over a year now. I haven't had anything dried out yet. I have been meaning to get a clay saucer but piedmont pan has been working great.

14 inch fits great, may also be stamped "36" (stands for 36 cm.) I have not noticed any difference in moisture, however the pit runs a bit hotter. Some use sand in the saucer to add more thermal mass. I think I will try this tomorrow. Clean up is the major advantage as well as the amount of thermal mass does not decrease over time as happens with water with evaporation.

Update - I tried the sand in saucer yesterday and I am now a total convert. Much better temp control and stability. Pit was ROCK SOLID at 253 for 4.5 hour rib cook (see yesterday's post on St. Louis Ribs). There are long threads on whether the lack of water lessens the moisture level. I just have a hard time seeing how this could be given it is not a closed container. My understanding is that water is used as thermal mass to prevent temperature spikes. Afterall, the large professional smokers do not use water do they?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armen G.:
This is the first time I've read of using a clay saucer instead of a water pan... very exciting!! Can anyone provide a link to a place to either purchase or look at a picture like the one most people use? I'd love to give it a try in my next smoke!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Armen,

Like a couple have said, go to home depot or your local doityourself hardware store. In the garden section you should find them. I bought the typical orange'ish colored terra cotta type clay saucer. I bought both a 12" and a 14". Or maybe it was 14" and 16", can't remember exactly now. But, the bigger one will fit perfectly on the water pan holders. The smaller one fits perfectly inside the 2 gallon brinkman water pan.

I've only used the smaller one inside the brinkmann water pan (dry).

Todd

I use a 14" saucer inside the stock water pan and will never use water again. The temp stays rock steady and I haven't noticed any difference as far as moisture is concerned.

Thanks for all the great info!! I'd like to replace the water pan entirely so I'll pick up the 16". If temperature does spike for one reason or another, is there a way to get it back down with the use of the saucer (e.g. ice cubes in the clay saucer, etc)? For easier cleanup purposes, do any of you use sand in the clay saucer to absorb the drippings during the cooking process? Do you foil the saucer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armen G.:
I'd like to replace the water pan entirely so I'll pick up the 16". Do you foil the saucer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
16" is too big for regular BBQ use. You want to get the 14" one. Yes to the foil, makes for a very quick cleanup. You don't want grease soaking into the clay or the sand if using it.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Balzotti:
While using the clay saucer has anyone noticed they use more fuel than if they just leave the water pan empty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul, It will take a scant more fuel to heat it up, but after that it's moot.
icon_wink.gif
FYI, I use my stock pan just foil lined with an air gap in between the bottom of the pan and the foil.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back