Clay pot base in place of water pan?

Originally posted by Ivey Spence:
Anyone tried a regular size 3 hole clay brick? I imagine this would function the same as the clay pot. Just foil the pan and the brick. Seems just as simple as the clay pot.

That may or may not be true, but I think the clay pot base is easier to clean and foil than an empty water pan...

I think some are using the stoker or the guru but most just control temps the way they've always controlled them--with a lawn chair, a Black Butte Porter, and a long stick to reach the vents without having to bend too far over.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by thoslhall:
Are you Piedmont/clay pot cookers using one of the mechanical temp controllers or are you doing it manually?

DW is close, poolside with a few Miller Lites and a silicone mitt to adjust my vents.

all my local lowes had was the 12" clay saucer so i picked one up and decided to try it out tomorrow night. i'm doing a whole brisket and a 10 pound picnic. i plan on putting the picnic on the lower grate skin side down to help sheild from the heat. the only question is which water pan should i use? my stock weber or my ECB coal pan? i think the ECB one would give a little more air cushion.

well i have it set up and waiting for my midnight brisket cook. i foiled the ECB pan and foiled the 12 inch clay base the clay base only sits down 1/2 inch in the ECB pan leaving a good 5 inch air pocket between the bottom of the ECB pan and the bottom of the 12" clay base. the bottom grate fits perfect. i just need to remember to start closing the vents down a little sooner than normal, but i think with such a large air gap there should be no problems maitaining temps.

i have not added fuel since 16 hours ago when i dumped 12 lit rancher's briquettes onto a full ring and it is still at 240 with my brisket point on.

edit...
after 22 hours i have just taken the burnt ends off the WSM and the temp was 260
icon_eek.gif
i am amazed. half a bag of ranchers lasted 22 hours. there is barely any left but my lord that amazes me.

Hey guys. Sorry if this has been covered a lot but I'm thinking about doing the clay pot mod and was wondering if there were instructions anywhere. Right now I have sand and foil in my water pan. Thanks.

First, try just taking out the sand and just using the foiled empty water pan.

It's a bit late in the season, most of the Home Depots/Lowes/WalMarts are clearing out their planter sections.

Anyway, depending on which size WSM you have, search around for a clay pot saucer base that's about the same diameter as your water pan. Foil it and set it on/just inside the pan. Done.

For the current 18.5" wsm, you want a 12" clay pot base in a Brinkman charcoal pan that's used in their little cheap water smoker. The Brinkman pan is flat on the bottom. This means it won't tip over after you remove the hot pan full of meat drippings, and you have MUCH more clearance to heap and tend to the charcoal and wood. Going by a cook with only 17lbs of pork butt, I'd say that if you used a 14" saucer with the Brinkman pan, you very well could have grease overflow, at least with butts or briskets. I'm reasonably confident that I have enough room with my brinkman pan and 12" saucer for all the drippings involved with a cooker full of butts/brisket, though.

What I like about the clay pot base is that the temp will come up quicker after taking the dome off and replacing. Also, it'll help even out temps between the top and bottom grates. I learned that on a recent rib cook when I cooked some back ribs recently in the 275-300* range.

For cooking only on the top grate though, I can't say that I recommend using the clay pot base. It makes the cooker slower to react to vent changes than if you just had a foil pan, and I still generally recommend water in the pan for overnight cooks if you want to sleep.

HOWEVER, if filling up both racks, I can see how the clay pot base might be the way to go on an overnight cook, especially if cooking for a big bbq LUNCH the next day. (I just wouldn't expect to get a lot of sleep, depending on how small a temp zone you wanted.) My cooker can take a WHILE to come up to temp if it's full and I'm using water in the pan....even HOT water. The clay pot base helps you get up to temp MUCH faster. It does take some getting used to when it comes to making vent changes, though. From my experience so far with water, only foil, and the clay saucer, I'd guess that sand in the pan would drive me nuts.

I have done two overnight cooks so far using only the top grate, with a foiled 14" saucer in my 18.5, w/ no water (obviously.) And both times it has worked perfect...I never had to re-fuel and kept super steady temps. I have yet to use water in my 18.5 at all, and don't think I ever will as long as I have the saucer. I would prefer a 12" but my Home Depot only had 14"...it works but my bottom grate sits on top of the saucer

Tom.
What burbs are you located in? I have a 12" which I used to use, now I just run an empty foiled pan.
Check my profile and shoot me an e-mail, your more than welcome to have it for free.

Tim

Guys, I have no interest in using the Weber water pan for reasons I already mentioned, and the 14" saucer would sit too high in my ECB pan to allow room for grease drippings from a big cook.

What kind of charcoal are ya'll using? Also, what kind of cooking times/temps are we talking about?

Usually, on an overnight cook, I'm cooking for the next day's supper, so I prefer to cook as close to an avg. temp of 235 as I can. Cooking a little hotter works great, but it shortens my cook time too much, and I don't like to start too late or try to keep the meat hot most of the next day. My last long cook was 16 hrs for two big butts and a brisket, and that's pretty typical of most of my "full cooker 225-250 at the vent" cooks. Most briskets have been just fine, especially choice, and there's no picking out unrendered fat like the other day when I cooked faster and got both butts done in under 11 hours. The long cooks w/ water have just as much moisture, and actually, a more consistant, softer texture. Next time I cook during the day, I'll probably target 250, and foil at 160* to ensure the meat's done in time.

Regardless of the end product though, I can tell from the other day that my cooker's temp would climb well outside of that range if I used only the saucer without a few vent adjustments along the way, at least if using the Stubb's. I guess I could try another bag of the RO chef's select briqs, since they burn a good bit slower. Overnight, the sun wouldn't be a factor, but also, I wonder if a ten inch base under my twelve inch one would be worth a try for the added mass to absorb the heat.

Originally posted by timothy:
Tom.
What burbs are you located in? I have a 12" which I used to use, now I just run an empty foiled pan.
Check my profile and shoot me an e-mail, your more than welcome to have it for free.

Tim

Thanks for the offer Tim! I live in La Grange Park...not sure that is too close to Montgomery...I have been keeping my eye out for a 12# whenever I get to home depot

Originally posted by Tom (Gunner):
I have done two overnight cooks so far using only the top grate, with a foiled 14" saucer in my 18.5, w/ no water (obviously.) And both times it has worked perfect...I never had to re-fuel and kept super steady temps. I have yet to use water in my 18.5 at all, and don't think I ever will as long as I have the saucer. I would prefer a 12" but my Home Depot only had 14"...it works but my bottom grate sits on top of the saucer

So Tom...What kind of charcoal were you using to get such an even burn rate? What was your cook times/temps, and assuming you used a Maverick ET-73 or similiar with an alarm to wake you up, what was your programmed temp range?

Hi guys, I wanted to contribute here.

I have a 22.5 WSM and used water in it once. I got an 18" clay saucer at a local garden store, sat it on top of the water pan, covered in foil, and away we went. My first overnight cook was a full load of KBB, it cruised along at 225ish for 14 hours. I only had to give it more coals because I needed to bump the temp up to 300 for some hot chicken. I'm convinced that the clay saucer not only works, but works very well.

Stan

Stan, thanks for the input.

Yeah, I've learned that KBB burns a good bit slower than my Stubbs, and all the ash will really help keep the temp from getting away from you. Thing is, on both of the overnight cooks I've done using KBB, I've had to get up out of bed and stir the coals some time in the early morning to get the temp back up to 225+. I've actually heard of some KBB users setting an alarm to get up several hours into the cook anticipating just that, since it's so apt to happen.

Back