Clay pot base in place of water pan?

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Guys, is all this worth the effort?

The regular PP seems to work very well for me.

Its NOT effort, its fun
icon_smile.gif

Whew, I am glad I didn't stop this thread.

I did a Piedmont Pan cook last night. 16 hours. The cook ran smooth 220-250 for 4 hours. Then it bumped up up to 274. I adjusted the vents to about 20%. It settled down. At 6am the coals need some air, I stirred 'em and kept going. At 14 hours I added more coals. Water in the pan would have prevented the 274 spike. Oh well alls well that ends well. It was good q.

Guys, is all this worth the effort?

The regular PP seems to work very well for me.

Steve, no offense but the clay pot base mod requires about 1/10th as much effort as the piedmont pan, so it seem a little odd that you would frame your question this way.

Thanks to all! I did the Clay pot base mod, worked perfectly! 14" base from Walmart, foiled the entire base, droppped it into the stock water pan and held 240 at the lid with the vents half open for 5 hours. (One chimney of Kingsford) Ribs were perfect!

Just for chucks, I did notice the bottom rack does sit on the base rather than the hinges. I took tile nippers, removed some of the lip from the base and sanded it smooth. Pefect fit, the bottom rack now sits on the hinges.

There are 2.54 centimeters in an inch, so a 14" saucer would be 14 * 2.54 = 35.5cm.

I wonder if that's why these have a "36" (cm?) stamped on the bottom.

I think Italy uses the metric system...

Using the clay pot base with a Stoker...natural lump...rock solid butt cook for the past 10 hours...I'm sold...so much easier...my bottom rack isn't on the grate holder though...that can be corrected...

JWBoothe, I think mine has a 36 stamped into it. I just measured my water pan and took my tape measure to wally world with me.

Originally posted by JWBoothe:
There are 2.54 centimeters in an inch, so a 14" saucer would be 14 * 2.54 = 35.5cm.

I wonder if that's why these have a "36" (cm?) stamped on the bottom.

I think Italy uses the metric system...

This is absolutely correct. The "14 inch" base we have come to know and love is actually a 36cm base converted to inches for us dumb Americans. Whatever it is, it makes for mighty fine Q.

I'm going to keep using my clay pot base. If it cracks, I will switch to a 14" pizza stone.

One thing I've wondered, does the clay pot base have lead in it? If so, does heating it release lead that would get onto or into the food?

So temp control aside, is it a consensus that having less humidity with the clay pot instead of water doesnt dry out, or change the quality of ribs, butt, chicken, brisket, etc.?

A dry environment seems to produce better bark to me. Piedmont Pan or Clay base should yield the same result-a dry cooking environment. I am not a competitor but as a cook I prefer dry cooking.

Many who use a water pan and allow it to run dry will get similar results.

I got a 12" clay pot base that fits in the stock water pan a little better and lets the lower grate sit where it should. I have used it in 4 cooks now and works perfect for me. I foil both the pan and base together leaving a air pocket in between. The 12" base sits in the pan well enough to catch any drippings and jsut throw away the foil and rewrap each cook, very simple for my simple little mind. Steady temps throughout and very moist meat. I had been using sand the last 6 months or so and that works good but just alot more cleanup.

Randy

Randy, your idea of the std. pan plus the clay base may be the best method. To have the air space makes a big difference and to have some mass from the clay is even better

Steve, It works great for me. I went to get the 14" and Lowe's have one so I got the 12" just to try, and it fit perfect, it sits in the stock pan low enough for the lower grate to sit where it needs to without and modifcation. The first time I wrapped the pan and base in foil separately but didn't see any need in that, so the last few I just place wrap together as one, forming the foil in the bottom of the base to catch drippings.

The air space does help hold some of the heat I think as I have been able to maintain temps just as good as any other method I have tried and it's easier cleanup laving more beer drinking time for me, I like that part!

Randy

Anyone tried a regular size 3 hole clay brick? I imagine this would function the same as the clay pot. Just foil the pan and the brick. Seems just as simple as the clay pot.

Back