Classic NY Strips - but just guess

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
Stocked up on a fresh whole NY Strip loin. Did some trimming to reduce the fat that drips into my grill too.

So, can you guess the thickness and weight of each steak? Let the fun begin.

1661652593031.jpeg

1661652615206.jpeg

1661652633651.jpeg

1661652649066.jpeg

And yes, I have a scale pic of one of these. When cut, all except one were nearly identical.

It’s too early for me to think but that looks delicious 😋
I wound up making some steak and eggs for breakfast with some of the leftovers. You need to do this cook if you’re not already. High heat seared NY Strips are amazing. Seasoned with kosher salt only.

Brett, I do the same with a NY strip from Costco. So my guess is 1 1/2" and 14 oz each -- though that edge shot looks like 2". They are a great deal even at today's inflated prices! Last Spring they had a whole tenderloin at $9.99/lb. I couldn't resist and it has me spoilt. But I have only one left and have to go back to the strip. No biggie. 😁

Brett, I do the same with a NY strip from Costco. So my guess is 1 1/2" and 14 oz each -- though that edge shot looks like 2". They are a great deal even at today's inflated prices! Last Spring they had a whole tenderloin at $9.99/lb. I couldn't resist and it has me spoilt. But I have only one left and have to go back to the strip. No biggie. 😁
I looked at buying a tomahawk but at $14.99#, I just wouldn’t do it. I’m voting with my pocketbook in the hopes of retailers lowering their prices to more reasonable levels. Whole rib eyes were 12.99# which is too high IMO, for someone who doesn’t each much beef anymore. The NY is always a hit when cooked right.

Smart guesses. Let’s get more replies before the reveal. You’re on the right path, is the most I can say.

Choice or prime, I am guessing by that price it's choice, nevertheless I always enjoy buying the whole loin & being able to cut to my preference.

Choice or prime, I am guessing by that price it's choice, nevertheless I always enjoy buying the whole loin & being able to cut to my preference.
Great question. It was well marbled. I’ll guess choice though as I rarely buy Prime, except when it’s the only selection (briskets for example).

It held up well to the heat and remained juicy. Nothing like a thick steak!

Whole rib eyes were 12.99# which is too high IMO
Brett I am a bit confused at that price for whole ribeyes at Costco maybe you are talking about Prime which I never buy only choice. At my Costco ribeyes not whole two weeks ago were 10.99 a pound so 12.99 for whole sounds pretty expensive maybe its the area you live in with Costco charging different prices don't know. Whole should always be cheaper.

Brett I am a bit confused at that price for whole ribeyes at Costco maybe you are talking about Prime which I never buy only choice. At my Costco ribeyes not whole two weeks ago were 10.99 a pound so 12.99 for whole sounds pretty expensive maybe its the area you live in with Costco charging different prices don't know. Whole should always be cheaper.
I’m pretty sure Rib Eye was around $3 more per # than NY Lloin, both whole.

We’ve laid off beef for a while. Summer is too hot here as beef makes us feel heavy after eating it. And I’m sure prices are moving daily/weekly here. But don’t hold me to the fire. I’ll keep some wiggle room.

Back