CI seared cod in clarified butter, spg served on pasta with kalamata olives, garlic, red peppers in clarified butter, fresh lemon juice and EVOO

Looks good, sure it tasted good too! Simple basic flavors never let you down!
squeezed some fresh lemon on it all before the pecorino. great balance of fat, acid and salt. and the wine was a great finish. all stainless steel ferment, no oak, so fresh, vibrant fruit. lots of green apple forward taste. thanks for your feedback!

i've noticed on this forum that fish dishes don't garner the same attention as beef or pork does. maybe fish is more a coasts thing (E and W).

squeezed some fresh lemon on it all before the pecorino. great balance of fat, acid and salt. and the wine was a great finish. all stainless steel ferment, no oak, so fresh, vibrant fruit. lots of green apple forward taste. thanks for your feedback!

i've noticed on this forum that fish dishes don't garner the same attention as beef or pork does. maybe fish is more a coasts thing (E and W).
I think that’s very true, even here in Michigan, with the Great Lakes aside from whitefish and some salmon (very different from “Coastal” salmon) we don’t have a lot of really fresh fish. Panfish are available of course but, cod or halibut is really expensive and, not as fresh as you coast dwellers have access to.
Yes, sometimes I’m jealous!

I think that’s very true, even here in Michigan, with the Great Lakes aside from whitefish and some salmon (very different from “Coastal” salmon) we don’t have a lot of really fresh fish. Panfish are available of course but, cod or halibut is really expensive and, not as fresh as you coast dwellers have access to.
Yes, sometimes I’m jealous!
Oh, how I’d die for some of your whitefish. I’d love to smoke some and make a whitefish spread. Memories…..

Your point reinforces what I suspected. I’d guess most of your seafood is hard frozen.

We have flash frozen cod and fresh cod. It comes right out of Alaskan waters which is not too far for us. I think this cod was flash frozen and thawed to be sold as near fresh at Costco. IIRC, $10#. Halibuts are around $20# here and are fresh from Alaska. Both make excellent fish n chips cuts.

We also get a flash frozen and sold thawed Chilean sea bass. It runs around $24# and is a special treat for us due to its cost. But omg it’s an incredible fish to eat.

As we get older, we’re finding that our desires for beef and pork and much less. Or it’s just too hot here in the summer to desire a fat steak. I definitely see that my summer cooks are lighter than other seasons. But the vino consumption is up too. Hmmm.

Only one pic tonight because this is a very simple meal.

View attachment 57239

View attachment 57240
Brett - another really fantastic looking meal, no surprises there. As others have said, fish is indeed hard to find in the midwest, but not impossible. Probably a lot harder in towns of < 50,000 or so but larger towns and cities have places where the fish is flown in relatively fresh, you just have to find places you can trust, and give it a shot. My wife is pretty hung up on Tuna, but I may try doing something like you're showing here in the next few weeks to see if I can get her out of her rut. She really likes picatta, and what you're showing here is similar, so now just gotta spring for some halibut or sea bass, or fresh cod and we're good to go. I may also try to find an un-oaked chardonnay. I haven't had one in several years and I've not been thrilled with my other white wine choices lately. Wifey loves Oaky chardonnay, but I'd rather drink just about anything other than an oaked chard....

I’m with ya on the whitefish! We buy it already smoked a lot. There’s a deli we can get a good whitefish salad from too when we’re being lazy.
This:

Just had 2# of it over the past two weeks. The story behind Acme and it’s origins is close to my family’s story. It all came from the same storied town of Brownsville, Brooklyn in NY.

Brett - another really fantastic looking meal, no surprises there. As others have said, fish is indeed hard to find in the midwest, but not impossible. Probably a lot harder in towns of < 50,000 or so but larger towns and cities have places where the fish is flown in relatively fresh, you just have to find places you can trust, and give it a shot. My wife is pretty hung up on Tuna, but I may try doing something like you're showing here in the next few weeks to see if I can get her out of her rut. She really likes picatta, and what you're showing here is similar, so now just gotta spring for some halibut or sea bass, or fresh cod and we're good to go. I may also try to find an un-oaked chardonnay. I haven't had one in several years and I've not been thrilled with my other white wine choices lately. Wifey loves Oaky chardonnay, but I'd rather drink just about anything other than an oaked chard....
You’re in the right lane on this cook and style. Piccata flavors but a deconstructed piccata, lighter and less fatty. All the fishes you list would be great in this dish. Sounds like your wife loves Rombauer chard. Super buttery oak. We steer clear of it.

A bottle of Sauvignon Blanc would also go very well with this meal. All stainless ferment and usually bright fruit, honeysuckle, pears, green apple or apricot notes. We’re a bit spoiled on the wine selections here. We have wineries in every direction from our home. From 35 minutes away to Amador County, to 90 minutes for Sonoma or Napa and a lot more regions too (Lodi and El Dorado).

I’ll dig up some crusted ahi pics I have. Maybe they’ll inspire you.

This:

Just had 2# of it over the past two weeks. The story behind Acme and it’s origins is close to my family’s story. It all came from the same storied town of Brownsville, Brooklyn in NY.
I’ve bought the Acme as well. I was in Brooklyn quite a bit as a kid. My grandparents lived on Pierrepont St.

There is a place just outside of Mackinaw City on M-23 called ”Big Stone Bay Fishery” excellent products, I’m going to,serve some of their whitefish spread before tonight’s meatloaves!
Great Lakes (Lake Superior or Huron) have some amazing fish, I’m lucky to get up there when I do!

I’ve bought the Acme as well. I was in Brooklyn quite a bit as a kid. My grandparents lived on Pierrepont St.
My parents and family hail from Brownsville from the 1900’s through the the 1950’s. My lox recipe and method is inspired by Acme’s process and ingredients. Acme has some great products.

Back