CI pan question

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I know, this is an off brand CI Pan and probably no the best quality, but I don't want to toss it. It looks to be an Ozark Trail brand that is normally carried at Walmart. Anyway, it has a very rough surface on it. Is that OK, or is it better to have a smoother surface. CI Pans that I have used in past were much smoother, especially on the cooking surface. The surface is almost like sand paper. Should I just season it and use it as is or would I be best off taking a grinder to it to smooth out the cooking area?

IMG_20231209_171340.jpg

I have both rough and smooth CI. Some is older, some newer. Oldest is a Wagner that is smooth. Most are pebbled as they are newer lodge that is less than 10 years old. TBH, I don't notice any difference cooking on either.

I've read you can sand CI with 40 /80 /160 and get it smooth and then season it, but I've not bothered. Every now and then I scrub CI hard with chainmail and then re season. Looking at that one, that's what I would do, but only on the flat bottom part.

I'm not a purist so YMMV.

Last edited:
I sanded some brand new Camp Chef CI, a skillet and pot, as it was tougher than I would have preferred.

Kinda regret doing that. Still not seasoned 100% yet, I’ve seasoned it probably 20 times. Although, I don’t cook on them much.

I’d be inclined to use

I am new to cast iron. I got a set of Lodge cast iron pans for free from a yard sale leftover pile. Mine are not super smooth. I am slowly learning how to use. At this point I can make good grilled sandwiches.

My results so far point to use as is with minimal cleaning and keep them seasoned.

I don’t know the designed useage for this pan but it makes an awesome grilled sandwich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 8
I am new to cast iron. I got a set of Lodge cast iron pans for free from a yard sale leftover pile. Mine are not super smooth. I am slowly learning how to use. At this point I can make good grilled sandwiches.

My results so far point to use as is with minimal cleaning and keep them seasoned.

I don’t know the designed useage for this pan but it makes an awesome grilled sandwich
I have one of those pans. I think it is a Griswold or maybe Wagner, and yes, they are awesome for stuff like grilled cheese and eggs too. The low lip allows you to easily get the spatula under the food. I am beginning to cull out all of my aluminum and non-stick coated cookware. If it wasn't for the CI being so heavy, I would have done so long ago.

I think smooth is better, but the difference is negligible for many cooks and most applications. I would use as is and see if it works for you before bothering to try and smooth it out.

My understanding is that in the heyday of cast iron, a fine finish and light weight (thin casting) were the hallmarks of quality. Nowadays, the pebbled finish is passed off as a feature. It is like using a nappy roller when you paint a wall - quick and easy and fairly decent looking. The pebbled finish is much much cheaper and easier to mass produce and preseason.

My flat skillet described above is a Wagner and is flat. I had a Griswold pan that was flat as well. Both are very good pieces, but the Griswold has been missing for a while. I have no Idea where it went. I have to find a replacement. But, I am too cheap to pay $50 for a new quality one. I will try to find one used at a yard sale or flea market. Griswold, Wagner or I suppose Lodge.

I assume that once the seasoning builds up over time that it tends to smooth out the surface to some degree.
Yes, that my understanding too, I’ve been ”Wor king” on a 10” antique fair find for a couple of years and this morning when doing a Basque Pancake for Sunday breakfast for wife and I it released just perfectly! IMG_0668.jpegSome days are just meant to be great! Starting with this? The roast rack of pork for dinner and finishing getting the house in all its holiday dress? Kids and grand children coming for dinner! Life is good.

Barb and I have and use almost exclusively CI for our cooking. From 10",12"
12" deep fry pans, three Dutch ovens. Various brands, Lodge, Griswald, Wagner and others.
I've found little if any difference between rough and smooth surfaces. The key is the seasoning of the pan which just takes time and patience. Also putting a very light coat of oil on it after it's washed and completely dry before putting it away.

We've had an old Lodge 10.5" for some time and wife loves it! Latest addition we go at Sams is a Lodge Yellowstone 13.5" pan that is equally incredible, works grat with chicken parm recipe.

Back