Chunks

Luis L.

Banned
I got about 30lbs left of large red oak chunks that I was planning on using them on my offset. I'm selling that offset because I got the WSM. Most of the chunks in question are the size of the one on the left. The other two are average sized chunks that are sold by HD or BBQ galore.

Would that big chunk be too big for WSM? It's about 6" tall.

IMG00202-20110317-1345.jpg

Like Jim says above....Looks to me like splitting it would require a sledge,you would just beat it to death with an axe-pretty knotty looking!

Luis.
Use your axe as a wedge, and strike it with a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallet.
That's how I split all of my smoke wood chunks (especially the gnarly ones) to keep my fingers out of harms way.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

very good idea as its also more accurate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Luis.
Use your axe as a wedge, and strike it with a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallet.
That's how I split all of my smoke wood chunks (especially the gnarly ones) to keep my fingers out of harms way.
icon_smile.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best for splitting chunks - I've found the best is my GO555 Grizzly Bandsaw with a 3/4 timberwolf blade. Cuts through like a knife and hot butter and will resize to any dimension you need.
icon_biggrin.gif

I do the same thing Timothy does...use my hatchet as a wedge and hit it with a small steel mallet.

That Fiskars unit looks really sweet. I was actually considering buying one of their hatchets. This may have sealed the deal. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
I used this. Last week I tried hack sawing them, big mistake!
2121332.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luis.
I love your old carpenters half hatchet, but I cant make out the markings after zooming in.
What brand is that?
It reminds me of my Grandfathers Vaughan
I use the 28 oz rig builders hatchet as my go to hammer and wood splitter (its one up from the half hatchet)
It's perfectly balanced, and has a Wood handle. You cant beat it for driving a 16d nail in one swing. Me, personally as a framer I don't care for fiberglass or steel handles on any of my striking tools. I don't like the feel of a rubber handle, and IME I don't trust the fit on a fiberglass handle on a metal head.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
I used this. Last week I tried hack sawing them, big mistake!
2121332.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luis.
I love your old carpenters half hatchet, but I cant make out the markings after zooming in.
What brand is that?
It reminds me of my Grandfathers Vaughan
I use the 28 oz rig builders hatchet as my go to hammer and wood splitter (its one up from the half hatchet)
It's perfectly balanced, and has a Wood handle. You cant beat it for driving a 16d nail in one swing. Me, personally as a framer I don't care for fiberglass or steel handles on any of my striking tools. I don't like the feel of a rubber handle, and IME I don't trust the fit on a fiberglass handle on a metal head.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tim, that's not my knife I just grabbed that picture from google. However it looks just like it. I can't make out the brand on mine, it's covered with tar.

Back