Chuck Roll on the GOSM,... sorry it's not a Weber.

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
Living on an island can be real boring, so since I've been reminiscing about the pulled beef sammies that we always ate back home at the Kern County Fair about this time of the year I pulled the trigger on a New Zealand Angus Chuck Roll.

pxwj.jpg

xj0w.jpg

Weighs in at 11 1/2 pounds, converted to dollars it's a $50 chunk of beef.

hxyi.jpg

Simple spices, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder and some dried thyme & rosemary.

raq6.jpg

Here's the smoker, not my first choice for a cooking area, we have a nice covered back porch, but it became a real hassle filling the propane tanks, so I moved all the cooking gear to the side of the house, kind of a catch all area, kinda nasty huh, I'm ashamed to show it after seeing all of your nice cooking areas, but hey, I live in a slu...hood, ...also living in the middle of the ocean the salt air takes a toil on everything, but it solves the propane problem because it's close to the house propane tank in the back ground. Also pictured is the PID controller and the air pump for the smoke generator and my wind deflector, an old door that also subs for a table.

3qel.jpg

The smoke generator, ...I use Apple, Cherry and Hickory chips from Ace Hardware to smoke with.

hw8n.jpg

Oh yeah, it's avacato, advacatoe, ...I've forgotten how to spell them in English, season ...these things!

1c6n.jpg

At our house!

iy5z.jpg

Started the cook at noon Saturday, here's a pic at the 2 hour mark, placed a pan with some beef bouillon to catch the drippin's, after defatting we'll incorporate them back into the pulled beef.

4oon.jpg

Smoker has settled in at 223°, I cook low and slow, I try to not go over 212° so as to not boil out the moisture, chuckies usually take 17-19 hours on the WSM, this is my first time in the GOSM so we'll see how long it take with gas, ...I've 220 lbs of propane and with a needle valve it's easy to dial in the temps.

fk68.jpg

To be continued...

Karl

It took 20 hours for the IT to arrive at 193°, here's the chuck after a rest of a couple of hours.

rc2m.jpg

The jus, hot out of the smoker.

lwvj.jpg

All pulled, ready for tonight's sammies, what isn't consumed tonight will go in the freezer.

4hra.jpg

The veggies to accompany the sammies, grated zuccs, carrots, onion, 'shrooms, Emmenthal,Gruyere and Parmesan, some diced bacon all held together with flour, eggs and some oil, baked in the oven.

e3v9.jpg

The jus defatted.

wnj0.jpg

Plated, pulled beef sammie with canned tomato salsa on a toasted French baguette, veggies and some Crock Pot Ranch Style beans.

gn9z.jpg

A little closer look.

i5sw.jpg

Thanks all for watching.

Karl

Thank you all for the kind words, sorry I don't participate more, it's kinda like shoot and run, but I'm so busy with work I don't have any time for life, ...I thought life became slower when we are old.

The sammies were very good, I think I'll change the acid in the salsa from lime juice to a splash of vinegar, wasn't quite the taste I remember, and everyone likes the veggies and Tahitians don't eat vegetables ('cuz I don't tell them whats in the dish). LOL

Thanks again,

Karl

Back