Chuck Roll- I'm Finally doing it!

Along with my other meat i brought in papers showing the butcher what cut of meat i wanted.. He knew exactly what i was refering too and remembered me from the summer when i asked him about it then. he says not , actually no one ever asks for it.. neways

It is a 22 pound complete chuck roll right out of the cryovac. SOmething interesting that they did is they put a net over it...ya so its really huge and netted.. i think i just might cook it with the net on unless there are any comments on that...

im going to scour the site here looking for a good recipe and jot down some ideas.. but i got a bunch of #2 rub left so ill prob be using that....ill let ya guys know.. take care

im prob going to be cooking this over sat night for a sun night dinner.....ill keep you posted...

Hey mords. Nice to hear from you.

One of the tricks I learned was to put the CR on a roasting rack when I foiled. That way it wasn't laying in its own fat as it continued to cook. Trust me. This is a really fatty piece of meat. But still worth the effort.

My family and I relly liked Kev's mustard sauce with it. mustard, cider vinegar, onion I'm pretty sure it's on the site let me know if it doesn't pop up on a search I'll forward it to you. Don't worry about having to run out durin g shabat. It's all standard ingredients.

One other tip I learned from Bryan S. although I believe I was the guinea pig was it's ok to cut the CR in half to cut down on the cooking time. It worked fine.

Peace.

thanks for the reply whata ya think about the cooking with the neettting on? wierd huh....well i think im goign to stick with the #2 the folks here are picky and just got used that rub.. also i dont want to experiment with such an expensive piece of meat witha sauce that no one had though..but ill try it back at home...thanks and i might just cut it down the middle....more bark right.. thanks

Well frankly mords I just don't see the advantage to cooking it with the netting on. It's not like you're trying to hold a shape or to hold the pieces together right? You're just going to pull it (shred) right?

As far as rubs go I'm also a little ambivalent. There's a really small surface area to meat ratio here. I'd go for whatever will get you the most bark frankly. I will gladly step aside if corrected here but the next time I do one I'm planning on doing it mustard slathered followed by a *heavy* favorite rub.

The only thing I'm really dead set on is cutting in half and putting up raising it up from the fat after foiling.

ya im agree with you i didnt really see a point to ]keeping the netting on ...but what do i know...ok i will be cutting it in half like you suggested.....and ill put on heavy rub..but no mustard....one last question....ok so now im looking at a 10 hour cook.. not bad...

do you foil at 160 put it back on the wsm and then go to 200 or just go straight to 200 and then foil and rest....(ill let it rest on a rack in the cooller thanks for the tip)

With a 22 lb roast I'd recommend allowing at least 11 hours cook time. Depending on your fat content it could go as long as 17 hours to get to 200!

Foiling is gonna cut down on your cook time as well as cutting in half. Also since as I recall you'r using a guru that'll cut times down as well.

I foil at 165 and when I foil I put it on the roasting rack. IMHO that's really important. If you're not going to do the mustard (don't know why, you can't taste it after it's cooked / smoked all it does is promote a nice bark) maybe you want to go liberal but not heavy with the rub?

ok so maybe illl try a lil of mustard you suggested..one last question.. when you put the roll back on the wsm all covered in foil you put a roating rack underneath it THEN?! i thought you meant when you keep it warm in cooler...so theres the roll,rack, foil and then put backin the wsm...? interesting....

(now im going to brainstorm more about my project tom with my 20 pound ribroast)

I think he puts the chuck on the roasting rack then foils both the rack and chuck so it's not sitting in its own juice as it finishes.

Mords,
I tie mine up with butchers twine so it wont fall apart, so you may want to keep that netting on. When i lay the finished CR out on the cutting board and cut off the twine, she falls apart. Just a thought.

Good Luck with it.

Well, its 1am and the chuck roll has been on for almost 45 min already... temp is sitting nicely at 215 guru pufin along....i had to end up cutting the roll in half it woudlnt fit on the rack. so im using both racks.. i didnt end up using the mustard and vinigar rub, couldnt find the one you were talking about, and everyone here said they wanted me to stick wiht they already liked.. so i used some wershire and #2 rub..hey i can always use the mustard slather next time....so thats if folks. hope to catch some ZZZs now and ill chekc in with you and the meat tom morning.. gniight

oh i left the netting on....

The only downside I can see to the netting is that it could pull off all your precious bark with it, but what do I know? Never even done a chuck roll.

You coulda' tried one with mustard slather and one without, you know---let folks taste it both ways, then mix 'em together to sort of neutralize any differences.

i was thinking of thta prob too susan..but its to late now.. and good point for the two diff types but will try it next time....

You know, i gotta give you BBq Dudes and Dudettes big props!!! This whole smokin thing is such an art.. its not an exact science, and to the ones that master it...WoW! you guys are great...cuz i put this guy on around 1am..now its 830 am and its at 150.(remember i want it for around 6pm tonight) will see what happens with the temp.. i still have time to go.....ill foil prob around 160-170...dont want to hurry this thing up to much...

also i checked in on the fuel and it looks like its running down a lil..so i put 15 unlit coals on.....funny though...my lil weber thermo that i stick in the top and the Guru are both reading 225...my nu temp is reading 215..its like 10 deg off..(but ive heard about this before) in any case both temps are nice

ill keep you posted

its now 1130 is and the meat is at 160 ..gonna foil shortly and take it to 200....it should take a few more hours to get it to 200 and then it can rest for a few more.. andthen perfect...

its 530 now and the roll is at 200...(wow 17 hours by far the best cook yet)..just pulled if off and now its sitting on the counter still wrapped in foil for the next 30 min until dinner time...corn, beans, rolls some salad..ect....

should i take the foil off and let it rest or doesnt matter...for now its on...

pics to follow, and ill have my final thoughts as well later...

Can't wait to hear what you make of it, Mords, and how you guys served it up and all that. Chuck rolls are a mystery to me.

well Susan, unwrapped the roll after resting for 40 minutes and....well it was so soft, i took off the netting wich i think was a good idea.. held everything together yet didtn pull off the bark....

I just shredded the meat with a fork.. it just pulled so easy. made a huge pan full of the stuff just with half of hte roll...10 pounds filled one large luminum pan...we at them in french rolls, some corn, beans, salad, potatoes and diet coke...

it seams though after i pulled the second half that ppl liked the bigger chunks better...not as pulled/shredded...they liked it more in one in chunks....i took a pic of it done but i dont have pics of is shredded...cuz it just looked like a tin a shredded meat

so...it was pretty much a 17 hour cook held at 215 by the guru the entire way.. filled with lump and only lit maybe about 15 pieces.. around 11am i added about 20 unlit kingsford...it looked like it was running low..
foiled at 160 and took them off at 200.

in the bigining though for some reasone which i coudltn figure out the temp was rising a degree every minute.. it even went up to 153...however i realized that i put the nu-temp cord not through my eyelets but under the lid and that was causing the temp to raise.. i fixed it and BAM the temp went down again...and then ran smootlhy till the end...

IT WAS REALLY REALY AWSOME! THANKS GUYS...

Back