Chuck Roast

Joe Perez

TVWBB Member
I have done a search for posts with not much luck. So my question is can a Chuck Roast cut be use to produce good pulled Beef?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Perez:
I have done a search for posts with not much luck. So my question is can a Chuck Roast cut be use to produce good pulled Beef? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! I prefer chuck roasts in the 8-10lb range if you can find them, I just think they cook better and you end up with more yummy shredded beef!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Once you get a chuck roast cook it in the 245-260º range until you hit 165º, double wrap in aluminum foil and continue to cook until tender, generally between 190º-200º. But it's not done until it's TENDER, I go by sticking a fork in the meat and giving it a twist. If I can't twist the fork, I let it cook until I can.

Chuckies are great for pulled beef. I cook to 200-205...they can be stubborn. At 165 put in alluminum pan if you choose and add some beer and cover.

Chuck roast and shredded beef is not a real common cut in my parts. The info and pictures here sure make me want to try it!

Are chuck roasts for shredded beef commonly seasoned with typical BBQ rubs(with lots of sugar content) or is it tyical to go the S&P garlic powder etc type of rubs?

Thanks guys and great ideas!

I dont like any sugar in my beef rubs, salt/Pepper/garlic/onion for the most part. This really compliments the great flavor of beef. But pork...yes sugar is key in the rub

Chuck is about my favorite thing to cook, and i've done a lot of it for other people, and its always a big hit. Its also about the easiest thing there is to do on the WSM. Rub it, throw it on until you like the bark formation, slap it in a pan, pull it when its tender, no need to ever temp it, it'll tell you when its done. I use a foil pan with onions on the bottom, keeps the roast out of the grease and also adds nice flavor. If you have a Sam's by u, there chuck is great, big 'ol hunks of it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. Morgan:
Are chuck roasts for shredded beef commonly seasoned with typical BBQ rubs(with lots of sugar content) or is it tyical to go the S&P garlic powder etc type of rubs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just use whatever rubs you use on steak. I usually like this rub on beef.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...300034965#9300034965

Just scroll down to see K Kruger's reply. His suggestions make for a great beef rub.

I love using pulled beef for tacos and nachos, so I season with some Mexican-inspired flavors. I've enjoyed this Chuck Roast el Adobo recipe, but I substitute combinations of real ground chile powders instead of the paprika and generic "chili powder".

Hard to go wrong though, just try whatever you suits your taste and I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Thank you all for your input. I did not see the chuck on the Smokey Joe. How great. We don't have a Sam's however we have Walmart which is a cousin I guess. I will check there and at Costco. Thanks again for all the responces.

Back