Chuck Roast

John Swanson

TVWBB Member
I have a 4.5 pound chuck roast and it is the first time smoking a chuck for me. How long should i give it to cook? IT has to be done before I leave tomorrow @ 7:30 am.

They can take a while (great help huh?) Depends on your temps. Low & slow they say can take up to 3 hours per pound. I've done chuck that size at higher temps,~275-300*, foil at 165* and take to about 195* but check the meat when it gets to 190's for tender. Don't remember the time, but it was less than 3 hrs per pound

It actually does help a lot! I guess I will try to put it on after dinner and if it gets done sooner then I will just wrap and put it in the cooler.

Wrapping will tenderize it more. For pulled beef, note that Bryan talks about 202* I think that's what I did the last time and it came out fine for pulled beef.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Wrapping will tenderize it more. For pulled beef, note that Bryan talks about 202* I think that's what I did the last time and it came out fine for pulled beef. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave/John, I've done them from 195-210. I just like to take them up higher to render some more of the fat out. A chuck roll is loaded with fat, more than a Butt. If you don't go high enough some have complained of greasy meat. I don't mind it but if you have a extra fatty roll, it can be a little too much for some people's taste. I make them for the guys at work and they flip over them. It's a nice change from pulled pork all the time. HTH
icon_smile.gif

Bryan, I've heard that complaint on here. The few chucks I've done haven't been the least bit greasy though. Yes there is a lot of fat etc, but I try to get that stuff out as best as I can when I pull the beef. I will say this, as you have noted before, that chuck has some real great beefy flavor

I'd figure about 11-12 hours. It takes a 3lb roast about 9 hours (3hr/lb) but it falls off a little bit after that for the bigger roasts. Personally, I'd cook it at 250º for 7 hours and then wrap it in foil for 4 to 5 more.

John, I love chuck roasts and cook them alot. For a 4.5lbs roast you're looking anywhere from 6-8 hours cooking time if you go the low and slow route. For shredded beef I like to smoke the chuck roast between 240-260 degrees until it hits between 160-165 degrees then foil and continue to cook until fork tender. If going by temp fork tender will occur between 195-205 degrees. But with a chuck you really can't go by temp alone because they can and will be stubborn, but I've never had one take over 2 hours lb.

You're in for a treat, shredded smoked chuck is one of my favorite things to cook. Here's a few pic's of an 8.5 lber I did a while back. Chuck is great the day you make it but the leftovers are so versatile and delicious!!

Larry,
Took your advice a couple of weeks ago and ordered some of Reverend Marvin's sauces. I haven't tried the regular as yet because I can't get off of the hot (which isn't hot).thanks for the tip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Larry,
Took your advice a couple of weeks ago and ordered some of Reverend Marvin's sauces. I haven't tried the regular as yet because I can't get off of the hot (which isn't hot).thanks for the tip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dave, glad you like it! We go through alot of Rev's and just get it by the case now. We love it on everything and my 5 year old daughter loves it as a dipping sauce for her chicken too! It's also great mixed 50/50 with honey as a glaze on wings and chops!

Larry,
I just saw that the Skins hired Jim Zorn as their new coach. I'm sure you are all choked up about that.

I really appreciate all the advice. I put it on about 90 minutes ago and the temp is at 245 since I have had two butts on since this afternoon.

Back